Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Helium?

Actually, helium is also an inert gas so it would probably do well replacing oxygen laiden air in tires (tyres in Canada and England) as well as nitrogen.

Of course, with helium's smaller molecular structure it is also prone to leakage.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

We used to run nitrogen in our tires on our race car too. Turned out to be a bigger PITA than it was worth, mainly because we run relitively short races, not for a heck of a lot of pay, and you'd be supprize how many times we forgot and squirted compressed air into the tires.

I've heard of some teams now playing with adding a certain ammount of water to thier tires so as they heat up the stagger will go away (sometimes what you want to happen on certain tracks).

Nascar, sure they use it, but for a street car, I think people would be further ahead to check thier tire pressure once a month, or even every 2 months vs inflating with nitrogen.

It surely won't hurt anything by doing that, but I doubt it'll gain you much either.

I will give some credit to the better mpg after an oil change though, at least I've definately experienced that with my truck ('00 powerstroke). But diesels sometimes are a different animal than a gasser.

One of my techs called me about 11:00 pm saying he's got a flat tire and no spare. As it turns out he's got a big hole in the bottom of the tire. To make a long story short he calls me 20 minutes later and says don't bother coming he's back on the road.

As it turns out he finds a screw bigger than the hole and screws into the tire and then fills the tire with R-22 and it holds long enough to get home.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

And when he got back to the shop I would have taken every bit of that R-22 out of his A$$ and his check.

do you know how many times you could have paid for a tow truck for the cost of that 30 lbs of r-22?

and then what are you going to do , recover it froma tire? I doubt it

can we get the guys name and adress?

I have never used straight Nitrogen, but I have on occasion used r22 to get something to the gas staion

(or to where ever I was going), the hose fits just well enough to get enough in the tire so I could cruise into the gas station and get the better stuff. Actually I have done this several times, one time I helped an old lady out on the freeway by doing it.

( yes I have done this several times since the regs came out )

I'm hoping to take the EPA test in November...now when I get to the ??? about what to use to inflate tires should I chose R-22 or R410a since It is higher pressure

Guess R-22 is cheaper than say ..a can fix a flat or a spare tire

sorry just in a smart arse mood this morning.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Actually using it in the tire, is legal. by their definition.

You can only switch from using R22 to 410A in your tires if you change the oil. Otherwise, you'll get fluxuating pressures and your tire will pulse, resembling a heart beating. Wouldn't helium be a better choice? Your car would be lighter, floating under the influence of a gas lighter then air, increasing your gas mileage by reducing friction between your tires and the road surface. Do I have too much free time?

Smile Back when I was a little girl

I took an old spark plug, broke off the porslian. Then welded a nipple to it, attached a hose and air chuck to it. Took out a spark plug out of the engine then used the device to air up a tire. Your engine piston will put up at least 100 pounds of pressure. Ct, you have a smart tech. Roy

[Edited by oroy54 on 09-30-2005 at 03:39 PM]

Re: Back when I was a little girl

Originally posted by oroy54
    I took an old spark plug, broke off the porslian. Then welded a nipple to it, attached a hose and air chuck to it. Took out a spark plug out of the engine then used the device to air up a tire. Your engine piston will put up at least 100 pounds of pressure. Ct, you have a smart tech. Roy

[Edited by oroy54 on 09-30-2005 at 03:39 PM]

I didn't have a home made one, but I have used a similar sort of rig. I'm pretty sure it was "factory" built.
    It came with a Ford/GM adapter. It included a hose long enough to reach any corner of the vehicle.

And yes, I've inflated tires with r-22(years ago), co2, & nitrogen, depending on the need.

for nitrogen to have an impact on gas mileage, you must first remove all air, evacuate down to 1500 microns, then charge tire with virgin nitrogen. in some colder climates you must evacuate down to 250 microns but only in extremes. this will increase ,ileage on average anywhere from three to eight percent. if any residual moisture is present it will affest mileage. if using an azeotrope, always remeber to charge the tire using vapor not liquid.

Smile Flange

Ok, now explain what an azeotrope is? My guess it is something that connects with another. Roy

flange, can't I just pull a vacuum to 30"hg? How long does the vacuum need to hold? Once I pull a vacuum, should I put a filter-drier on the schrader valve stem before I fill the tire? I want to keep non-condensables out. If I can't use an azeotropic refrigerant, do I have to worry about fractionization? Should I fill the tyre with liquid and then allow it to become gaseous? What oil should I use; PAG,POE or mineral? Maybe I'll just convert to solid tires and not worry about flats.

Hmm troyorr

I heard of a tyre, some call it a tar here down south, that is a solid tire. The way I understand it the tire is filled with some type of honeycomb arrangement. No air added. Roy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast