Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused

The local news has a "problem solvers" report on this today about how it saves you gas..better for the tires and all that...could not find the article on WKMG's web page but found it on a NC news web site.....

What do you all think about this?

Drivers Following New Trend: Filling Tires With Nitrogen

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Matthew Struhar fills his cars' tires with nitrogen. NASCAR teams swear by it, airlines stake their safety on it and many drivers are following the growing trend.

"I drive 200 to 300 miles a day. So my tires are always over inflated or under inflated. And that's why I was concerned. I go through tires about once a year," said Struhar.

Some dealers say nitrogen-filled tires -- still fairly rare in Charlotte -- have major benefits over the air in most tires.

"Oxygen has smaller molecules in it, which enables it to escape three to four times faster than nitrogen can," said Costco's Mike Mann.

Mann said every tire sold in the Charlotte Costco warehouse is filled with nitrogen. And although some dealers across the country charge as much as $5 a tire for nitrogen, Costco does it for free.

Either way, experts say, tires filled with nitrogen can save you money by keeping proper inflation pressure longer than a tire filled with air. As a result, your tires wear better, handle better and all that translates into better gas mileage.

Struhar said his gas mileage is 5 percent better since switching to nitrogen.

"I spend almost $11,000 on gas alone for my vehicles and 5 percent is a savings of about $600 a year," he said.

Nitrogen also has another advantage. It doesn't contain moisture, which causes tire rubber to break down over time.

But what if you get a flat tire but don't have access to nitrogen? You can still refill the tire with air, but you won't get the benefits of pure nitrogen unless you put nitrogen back in later.

Keep in mind -- nitrogen can't prevent a valve leak, or stop you from running over a nail. So it's still a good idea to check your tire pressure once a month.

We checked with several other major tire companies in Charlotte. None of them are using nitrogen, but several are considering it.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Most of our air is made up of nitrogen. Oxygen and other gases making up our air is volatile, while the nitrogen is inert. This means that nitrogen does not react with tire materials, heat from tire rotation or bumps in the road.

I have used nitrogen in my tires for years. I have never calculated any differences from this usage but I just like having an inert gas in the tires.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Been using Nitrogen for over three years now that is has been easily accessible. The tire shop I used starting offering it also. There are a lot more factors that will save more on fuel though.

But, I have never use Freon in an emergency to get me back to town.

One of my techs called me about 11:00 pm saying he's got a flat tire and no spare. As it turns out he's got a big hole in the bottom of the tire. To make a long story short he calls me 20 minutes later and says don't bother coming he's back on the road.

As it turns out he finds a screw bigger than the hole and screws into the tire and then fills the tire with R-22 and it holds long enough to get home.

Either way, experts say, tires filled with nitrogen can save you money by keeping proper inflation pressure longer than a tire filled with air. As a result, your tires wear better, handle better and all that translates into better gas mileage.
    Huh? "Experts" say that nitrogen doesn't expand when you heat it up? Are these experts aware that regular air is ~80% nitrogen?

Struhar is full of something.

Nitrogen also has another advantage. It doesn't contain moisture, which causes tire rubber to break down over time.
    So what about the air that's already inside the tire when it's mounted? Do they evacuate the tire before they fill it?

And what about the air and moisture on the outside of the tire?

I'd better quit driving through puddles. It might cause my tire rubber to break down over time.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Originally posted by ralphtheplumber
    Huh? "Experts" say that nitrogen doesn't expand when you heat it up? Are these experts aware that regular air is ~80% nitrogen?

Struhar is full of something.

So what about the air that's already inside the tire when it's mounted? Do they evacuate the tire before they fill it?

And what about the air and moisture on the outside of the tire?

I'd better quit driving through puddles. It might cause my tire rubber to break down over time.

LMFAO!!!!

I had a tire center tell me "Don't put that stuff in your tires or we won't do your service anymore, it'll blow up!"

We ran nitrogen in sprint car tires in the late 80s and early 90s. Tire stagger is crucial with live axles and with nitro, the tires would not grow in size when heated up. Also ran our air tools with it!

Ralph, nitrogen alone does not expand as much as the other gases in the air do.

Cooler tires at more consistant pressures are known to reduce gas usage. This was even brought up on NPR's "Car Talk" once. A woman claimed that after an oil change, her car consistantly got better mileage. Her bet with her hubby was that having fresh oil gave you better gas mileage. Click and Clack did not agree with her assumption but figured that every time she got an oil change the company also properly inflated her tires. According to these experts, the properly inflated tires made the difference in the gas mileage.

Water mixed with oxygen and then pressurized and heated is what causes the breakdown of the tires on the "inside" of the tires.

So, everything that has been claimed here is viable.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

i understand truck tyre cos have been using nitrogen for years in truck tyres
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I fill mine with helium, so I get 35 mpg.

Exclamation

Originally posted by doglips
    The local news has a "problem solvers" report on this today about how it saves you gas..better for the tires and all that...could not find the article on WKMG's web page but found it on a NC news web site.....

What do you all think about this?

Drivers Following New Trend: Filling Tires With Nitrogen

"Oxygen has smaller molecules in it, which enables it to escape three to four times faster than nitrogen can," said Costco's Mike Mann......
    I read somewhere that the cold storage industry has a way of modifying the atmosphere inside airtight cold storage rooms. They force regular air through a really fine filter media which is so fine that only the nitrogen molecules will pass through because the oxygen molecules are larger because they are always doubled (O2 as in CO2). By displacing the regular air inside the cooler room with nitrogen, the contents of the cooler are preserved by the fact that there is little or no oxygen to oxidize, ripen or age them.

The oxygen atom may or may not be smaller, I don't know. I'm not a chemist nor do I play one on tv, but the oxygen molecule is certainly larger than the single atom nitrogen!!

Fred

Ok guys, let's think about this for a minute..

PV=nRT

If you heat up a gas, it expands. Air, Nitrogen, Helium, doesn't matter. You use the same equation to calculate how much.

Point #2: the rolling resistance of tires is highly dependent on the pressure, as is the amount of heat they generate. If you want less rolling resistance, then over-inflate your tires. They'll wear out in the center, but you'll get better mileage. The great majority of the heat generated (assuming you're not doing burnouts) is from the flexing of the sidewalls. Lower pressure = more flexing = more heat. Therefore, if you put more air in your tires, they'll generate less heat.

And speaking of water in the air, has anybody ever paid attention to the guy installing the tires? They use soapy water to lube up the rim and the bead of the tire when they install it. There's usually about a spoonful that runs inside the tire and rolls around there indefinitely.

I still think that guy is full of something, and I'm pretty sure it ain't nitrogen.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Geeees youguys, you're susposed to be refer tecks. Remember the law that the total presure in a system is the sum of the presure of all the gases.Soooo if you only have nitrogen to worry about then the net expansion ratio will only be concerned with that one gas. Also nitrogen at sea level is bi polar where and water vapor or ozone or co2 is tri polar and heats up a whole lot more than bi polar nitrogen. I think this makes sense based on hot house gases.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast