Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate bees!

Angry

Got swarmed yesterday while I was mowing the lawn... They are underground, and I guess the vibration from the mower got them a little crazy. The first sting was in my butt, and after that it was my back, arms and head. I'm sure I looked a little crazy running through the yard waving my arms and jumping around. A true Kodak moment! Started swelling up almost immediately, and the itching is enough to make me insane. I'm taking LOTS of benadryl, which is helping although I feel like a zombie today.

Needless to say, I'm meeting an exterminator in about 30 minutes to get rid of my pests. I have sprayed 3 times myself, but apparently it is not strong enough to kill them and keep them from coming back.

Oh, and I also mowed over a snake. It was a GREAT day yesterday! LOL

I got swarmed a couple years ago when I bumbed into some dead wood with the weed eater. Got stung 6 times in the face and arms. My son and I exterminated the whole nest with 4 cans of bee and wasp killer.

Question kgouker

where in indiana are you?
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Originally posted by 1972torino
    Above ground so far!

I see they (bees) started (stinging) at a good place! LMAO

Talking

i love the hornets inside RTUs on a 40 foot roof!! they make life worth living
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Wait till about dark
    Pour a cup of gas into the nest
    Light it.
    No more Bees......

Bee's seldom nest in the ground but sometimes do. Yellow yackets and hornets often do. I was mowing with a bush hog one time and hit a log with yellow jackets in them. Was hit a dozen times and laid down on the bed . After a few minutes I tried to get up and nothing worked. They are on another spectrum of pain from a Bee and very aggressive. I was also weed eating the other day and hit a nest into the bank of the lake in the ground. Same thing but they got my little dog once this time who got in a bad way and I had to take to the vet. He still won't go near the lake.

Money saver is to wait till night and pour a cup or two of Coleman fuel (safer than gas a little) down the entrance hole then wait a minute for the vapor to spread in the nest, followed by a match thrown down. There should be a paper nest in the hole down less than a foot or so if it is the jackets. So much more satisfaction and cheaper killing them yourself after they attack you Glad to hear you survived the attack. You sound like a strong woman, most women would have dialed 911

[Edited by JAMES 3528 on 09-28-2005 at 01:46 PM]

1972torino -

I'm in North Central Indiana, specifically Elkhart.

woowoo -

I wish it was that easy! I have retaining wall blocks where part of the yard is sloped, and they are going in between the blocks to the nest. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where the nest is located. I've sprayed in between the blocks, but apparently it is not going in deep enough to reach the nest.

The exterminator promised NO MORE BEES after tomorrow! :-)

Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by 1972torino
    Above ground so far!

I see they (bees) started (stinging) at a good place! LMAO
    Everywhere I got stung is really itchy. I'll have to be careful not to get caught with my hands down my pants scratching! LMAO

James -

I did a little research on the internet, and I think you are correct that they are yellow jackets. I'm no bee expert, but after looking at pictures of "bees" and "yellow jackets" I'm pretty convinced that is what they are.

I think that explains the pain difference as well. I have been stung before, but I have never felt pain like that before. It also explains why I didn't find any stingers.

Such a pretty head to sting too! Bad bugs!

Originally posted by kgouker
    James -

I did a little research on the internet, and I think you are correct that they are yellow jackets. I'm no bee expert, but after looking at pictures of "bees" and "yellow jackets" I'm pretty convinced that is what they are.

I think that explains the pain difference as well. I have been stung before, but I have never felt pain like that before. It also explains why I didn't find any stingers.
    My Dad was a bee freak. He had over 200 bee hives and started messing with them after he retired. Naturally being the only son worth a crap I helped him but I was not at all thrilled with them as he was. Very hot work in the summer and hives are very heavy. I got many, many stings. There is no comparison. Yellow Jackets are much worse.

One other thing. Life as we know it would stop with out the honey bee cross pollinating food crops and other thing. Think positive about the bee. It gets a bad rap because of other bugs.

Sadly some bees meet a bad fate because of selection of a place to build a hive.

Spray insect bites with Windex or ammonia to stop the itching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast