Thread: Putting a scent into refrigerants

Post Likes
    Does anyone know if the "powers that be" have ever considered putting a scent into refrigerants, so that home owners and business owners without hvac knowledge could know that their equipment was leaking long before a problem developed?

Personally, I think it would be a good idea. Natural gas and propane have scents added........why not refrigerants?

Post Likes
    let's see maybe a smell of burning cannabis would be good.

Post Likes
    Why don't they...Refrigerant does not accumulate and explode. I can see the service call now...customer smells refrigerant in the kitchen area. I guess I will do a refrigerant leak search of the a/c eqpt, refrigerators, freezers, line coolers and the beer cooler.

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    Post Likes
    So now the customer will know how much refrigerant is leaking .01 oz/year.

Maybe customers can choose the scent they like.
    I suggest dollar bill scent, then you will know how much you have to spend

Post Likes
    The world stinks enough as it is. Remember, there are those of us who are sensitive if not allergic to chemical scents. With all of the crap we are putting into the air that number is increasing rapidly.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I was waiting for Robo to chime in on this one.

What was it? "No scents makes good sense?"
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    I think they tried that with ammonia,

I'm kidding

[Edited by gruvn on 09-28-2005 at 08:28 PM]

Post Likes
    I dont know about adding a scent, but if they could add taste, I would go for either cheescake or a long island ice tea flavor.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    I was waiting for Robo to chime in on this one.

What was it? "No scents makes good sense?"
    That would be it

I have been known to ask people with heavy deodorant on if they really smelled so bad that they had to drown themselves in cheap perfume.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    gurvn: Ammonia is NH3........this chemical compound has its scent "built in". I worked in a Chemical plant that made Ammonia. As you know, it is highly flammable because of the Hydrogen in the comound, and it has a very pungent odor when it is in the atmosphere. The Ammonia compressor building was tough to work in. Glad I didn't have to be in that area much.

Apparently my thought on adding scent to refrigerants was not the best idea. Appreciate everyone's replies.

Post Likes
    working in a large ice manufacturing facility I was told that if I smelled ammonia to get as low as I could and beeline for a predetermined exit. We were told to not stop for tools or anything else, just get out.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by sonny
    Does anyone know if the "powers that be" have ever considered putting a scent into refrigerants, so that home owners and business owners without hvac knowledge could know that their equipment was leaking long before a problem developed?

Personally, I think it would be a good idea. Natural gas and propane have scents added........why not refrigerants?
    i think you have a wonderful idea the only problem with it is what ever you use needs to be something that is compatable with the oil & refrigerant or you introduce a non condensable to your system and that will cause real problems. and that something is much easier said than done but dont give up that really is a great idea

Post Likes
    Next we'll have to wear gas masks to work.

Imagine what a burnout would smell like.

EEwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    I'd rather see em add dye to all refrigerants to make it easy to spot the leaks, but then again I dont think we all want dye spewing out on our hands when we're taking the gauges off the a/c. lol so disregard this post
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    working in a large ice manufacturing facility I was told that if I smelled ammonia to get as low as I could and beeline for a predetermined exit. We were told to not stop for tools or anything else, just get out.
    can this stuff really turn your vital organs to liquid ? maybe can we see, joke!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in