Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I wouldn't like another person deciding what type and kind of tools I needed to do my job. Just think....They might issue me a Fluke meter instead of the UEI DL-259 I love so much.

Who said they pick them, why do you think they would wasate their time to pick out tools ?

I go to the counter tell them what I want and give them a PO,

you are not comparing apples to apples.

Senior Tech Guest
    Now for the plain and simple answer to your question:

Gross margins

Bottom Line

Most employers don't supply tools because what counts is how much money they put in the bank. Understandable I suppose. After all, you must admit your here for the money also...surely not because you really enjoy crawling in hot attics and damp crawl spaces? Given the choice I'm sure if money was not the object of our passion we would all be doing something else wouldn't we?

Also many techs have preferences as to brands and types as proven by the recent meter war threads...can't please'm all so let'm buy their own.

I worked for a company, briefly, that required that I use their tools. They offered to buy mine and let me use them, but it was obviously pennies on the dollar, so they issued me tool bags with tools. I am talking about a well used and thrown together assortment. I put their collection of stuff in the basement and used mine until I left. It was easy to return them though, I never took them out of the bags. Their reasoning was something about insurance coverage, but..... whatever

How would anyone do any "side jobs" without having their own tools? It would be pretty hard with a hammer and screw driver

Originally posted by gruvn
    Who said they pick them, why do you think they would wasate their time to pick out tools ?

I go to the counter tell them what I want and give them a PO,

you are not comparing apples to apples.
    Happy we dont have to buy our own tools either.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Come on now. You got to be kidding me right? Expecting the company to buy your tools for you is assinine. I have always purchased my own tools, including the specialty tools needed. When I started in this trade I not only did HVAC but also major appliances, plumbing and electrical service work. I bought the standard tools needed to make repairs and as time went along I bought more specialty tools that I learned I needed. I started with this company at the same time as another tech did and after 5 years I was making $5 an more than he was. He technical skills were comparable to mine in most areas and even surpassed in a few others, the difference to the company was I had the tools to do the job. I did not have to stop because I didn't have a flare set or Whirlpool spanner wrench. I had these things and was able to complete more work in less time. At the same time if I did break a tool or meter all I had to do was bring it into the office, show them, go purchase another one and they reimbursed me. I got the tools I wanted and was able to purchase any brand. The company I work for now is about the same. There are some tools I wouldn't ever use anyplace else so I have the company purchase them and if and when I leave those tools will stay.

Question

Originally posted by gruvn
    So lets say you were a laborer doing road construction, making about 50K a year, you wouldn't mind investing several hundred thousand dollars into a paving machine ?
    That has to be the dumbest comparison ever!

When have you spent more on tools in this trade than what you made in a year.

Originally posted by workhorse
    Come on now. You got to be kidding me right? Expecting the company to buy your tools for you is assinine. I have always purchased my own tools, including the specialty tools needed. When I started in this trade I not only did HVAC but also major appliances, plumbing and electrical service work. I bought the standard tools needed to make repairs and as time went along I bought more specialty tools that I learned I needed. I started with this company at the same time as another tech did and after 5 years I was making $5 an more than he was. He technical skills were comparable to mine in most areas and even surpassed in a few others, the difference to the company was I had the tools to do the job. I did not have to stop because I didn't have a flare set or Whirlpool spanner wrench. I had these things and was able to complete more work in less time. At the same time if I did break a tool or meter all I had to do was bring it into the office, show them, go purchase another one and they reimbursed me. I got the tools I wanted and was able to purchase any brand. The company I work for now is about the same. There are some tools I wouldn't ever use anyplace else so I have the company purchase them and if and when I leave those tools will stay.
    The company I work for has always supplied the tools, I have a few speciality things like a Cablecaster(they offered to pay for it though) and also any book we want to read dealing with our profession, we buy it and they reimburse us.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

When have you spent more on tools in this trade than what you made in a year.
    Well, never... but it's not because I didn't want to! lol

I provide 70% of my own tools where I work. I'm sure they'd buy me more tools if I asked and was persistant about it, but I'd rather just use my own. I'm fairly new to the trade (5 years), so I'm missing many tools that I need/want, but the collection is getting up there slowly. I have several specialty tools they don't have. But it makes me more valuable to them, and I'm able to do my job better also.

Eventually I'd like to own enough tools to never need a company tool, but that's a long ways off.

Where I used to work, a lot of the service plumber owned every tool they'd use (well most anyway). But they also go paid for it. If they used thier fancy cordless WIERSBO tool, they'd write it down on the ticket and get paid from the company for using it (wasn't much, $30 or so). Seemed like BS to me. I never got paid any more for using my specialty tools..... grrrrr lol

Of course, different employees will run thing differently. Most require that you provide all of your small tools. Some will replace them if you have been with the company for a while. If you do your paper work right and file a Schedule C as some sort of "side job" you'll be able to take a deduction for all that and more.

You are doing the companies work, you should do it with their tools.

I have always had my own, to include torches, recovery, vacuum. I like my tools. I use to get offered to have the comapny buy them for me, but companies always buy the cheapest crap. I taked care of my own tools also. I can't say I'd care as much if they were someone elses.

I remember times too, where I would go to work for someone and I would need something like say a digital manometer, which now a days is a must, now they always said they would buy the tools, but they would say, "well thats not a typical tool, cause none of the other techs have one". Guys who know what tools they need and are a must to have are usually smarter and understand how to do their job a lot more than the but crack type.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast