+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Install

Post Likes
    First time using Carrier equipment. Happy with the way the a/c came out, but the furnace could have been better. But thought I would post anyway.

Go ahead, flame away!!

Post Likes
    Forgot to put the schreader caps back on

Post Likes
    I saw that, luckily caught it before I left the jobsite. I knew someone would see that, it was the first thing I noticed when I upload the pics.

Going to have to start taking pics of every install, funny what you notice when you are just sitting around, and not rushed.

Post Likes
    Looks good, just wondering why the offset? Looks like new construction, did someone move the trunkline too far over to the left? What size furnace is that? A/C refer lines look good, nice bends, maybe could have been set a little closer to the building?

Post Likes
    Other than the brand looks like a great install!

Post Likes
    Nice work.

As much as I hate to see duct tape around the linesets (I do it myself) I'm not fond of tie straps either. They are usually pulled too tight and take away from the insulating properties. Before you know it, it breaks through and starts condensating at those points.

I'm not real big of the "print" on the foil tape. Not sure why they manufacture that style of tape. Is it any different than the plain silver foil tape?

Was the ductwork fabbed on the job?

Keep up the nice work.

Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    It sure is hard to find good installers!
    I'm glad for my sake that you are not my competitor.
    A very good neat install.

Questions:
    1. why stay away from the house that far?(A/C)
    2. Why not a better filter system, Carrier's filter media cabinet that come with the furnaces?
    3. Why not a TXV on that wonderful cased coil?

Post Likes
    I dont like using duct tape either, been trying to get my distributor to get the black stuff again, but no luck yet. So out come the zip ties.

The only parts of the metal that were field fabricated were the transition for the supply & at the top of the return.

The silver tape with lettering is UL681 listed, the unlettered is not.

The distance from the house for the a/c the answer is ....I dont know. lol. Just used to having to open the back of the condenser to work on it I guess.

Customer did not want media filter. Just wanted simple one incher.

Same for the TXV. They splurged on the 2 stage VS furnace, and that was about it for the budget.

Oh and this was a replacement. Sorry no pics of the before, forgot to bring my camera for the first day. Yeah it took two days, but my helper was not feeling good. So we took our time. Plus it was my first Carrier and I sat on my ass reading the start up destructions for awhile.

Thanks for all the replies!

[Edited by christheheatingdude on 09-27-2005 at 10:11 PM]

Post Likes
    Wow that's a replacement, did you install all new returns? metal looks pretty shiny. Thought it was new construction due to the landfill markings on the foundation.
    I think I woulda tossed in a TXV with a VS system, still looks good, nice job.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    Wow that's a replacement, did you install all new returns? metal looks pretty shiny. Thought it was new construction due to the landfill markings on the foundation.
    I think I woulda tossed in a TXV with a VS system, still looks good, nice job.
    The home was very short on return air, and the ones that were there, I was not happy with the sizing and the installation of them. So we removed the old ducting, and installed some new returns, and resized all the duct.

Probably should have included the TXV, but I upgraded him to the better condenser at my expense, just because I like the looks of it better than the builders model.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Took me awhile to get the nerve to post a pic of one of our jobs. Due to the replies some of the pics on here get. But it is nice to hear what other people have to say, and helps me to strive to make the next one better!

Post Likes
    If you almost forgot the service caps I hope you remembered to torque the valve stem caps down too.Next spring the charge will be low when the rubber o rings shrink & let out the refrigerant from the top of the stems.been there done that ....oops lol
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Christheheatingdude
    Customer did not want media filter. Just wanted simple one incher.
    If I recalled, You still can use a 1" filter in those air filter housing, and if the customer wants to upgrade, it's already there for them.

Otherwise, Looks good.

What did you use for t-sat for them?

Post Likes
    Is the chimney for the water heater a lil big with out a furnace now?

And I'd also like to mention no pookie on the duct/pipe joints. But I also understand on a change out you have to draw a line somewhere. If you pooky your stuff, they'll wonder why you didn't do the old stuff. If you do the old stuff you've just thrown in several more hours of work.

Awesome looking job though.

Post Likes
    The water heater vents into the original 5" Bvent.

The thermostat is a TSTATCCCN2S01 2 Stage Heat/1 Cool Auto changeover, non programmable.

The reason for the 1" filter is I used a prepackaged return drop. And it has a built in filter space. Kept the one that came with the furnace for future use.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by square2round
    Nice work.

I'm not real big of the "print" on the foil tape. Not sure why they manufacture that style of tape. Is it any different than the plain silver foil tape?

The printing on the tape is to show that the tape meets certain standards.

I am a commercial tech. If an engineer is punching one of are jobs and he does not see the printing on the mastic/foil tape the installers would be changing it all out. That would upset the boss.

BTW, nice install

Post Likes

Question evap install

hey dude you put your evap on top of your heat exchanger dont you worry about condensate rusting them? on upflow install, coil should be on return side or further down supply line away from heat exchanger but the work looks great

Post Likes
    How is condensate going to rust the heat exchanger?

How is it going to get there in the first place if the drain pan is in place and not cracked?

Thanks for the reposne though

Post Likes

Re: evap install

Originally posted by unlimited maint
    on upflow install, coil should be on return side or further down supply line away from heat exchanger

say what???

pretty sure a/c coil in return of gas furnace is in direct VIOLATION of national fuel gas code

Post Likes
    Looks really nice. Shows some pride.

I would probably get out of the habbit of making that 45 at the return by the bottom. It actually makes for a restriction. If you dont cut the inside corner, the outside rounding or 45 is useless. You would be better off using a straight 90 and adding vanes.

Post Likes

No Drier...

Originally posted by Christheheatingdude
    First time using Carrier equipment. Happy with the way the a/c came out, but the furnace could have been better. But thought I would post anyway.

Go ahead, flame away!!

I don't see a filter drier installed?
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in