Angry

Hey all-
    It's been a while since I posted here, but this past weekend I had a failure with my system. I've got 2 Bryant 698 heatpumps with their matching air handlers (variable speed, humid, bla, bla, etc.). One is for the upstairs and the other is for the main floor and the basement. The upstairs one failed. Needless to say, I am a little upset by this as they are only 18-24 months old.

My question is this. What should I expect to pay for? What could of caused this? Is it because of the long line-set run to the second floor(50ft)? Whats going to keep this from burning up again?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Doug

Did I mention it is a bad compressor? The part is on order and should be here in the next day or so.

Pull the spec sheets, look at the line sizing guidelines and see if they are out of the tables, if so, then yes, it is likely a problem. Its a shame these arent read more often. Combinations of long and vertical seperation with the outdoor unit below on heat pumps are often overlooked by many and the end result is, well now you know.

You need to accurately determine the line length, horizontal and vertical lengths, and line size. Is this an A or a B?
    What size is it?

Carrier (and I assume Bryant) requires, a hard start kit, crankcase heater and a hard shut off for systems over 50 feet. When an indoor unit is installed higher than the outdoor unit, they also require an inverted trap at the indoor unit and the maximum hight is 30'. No matter the length (and we are talking equivelent lenght) the solenoid valve is required.

How many of these items do you have installed?

All very good questions Doc. I plan on pulling down the install manual this weekend and looking around a bit to see if I can answer some of these questions. I do know there is nothing "in-line" from the outside unit to the upstairs unit besides the filter (at least what I can recall sitting here at my desk). Me living in the middle of nowhere is taking its toll with finding a good contractor. I have been after my guy for a while about how this unit "don't sound right" when it kicks on. You can actually hear the line-set bigger then life inside the house. I don't blame him. If he dropped everything just because someone said "it don't sound right", he would never get anything done. I consider this guy a friend, but I think it's time to call in another contactor. I have been trying to find one with a static pressure meter as I think the returns on the upstairs unit are to small.

Question: When taking ESP, should I leave all bedroom doors open or closed? Each room has a supply and a return. Should I leave the hallway bathroom open or closed (supply only)?

Thanks,
    Doug

With returns in each room, it doesnt matter really in regard to checking static. If your questioning airflow, that too can lead to compressor failure. If this is a VS system, its probably not the case but definately needs to be known.

You'll probably find the instructions are still sealed in the bag they came in. "Ive been doing this for 30 years" means very little to me.

It might just be the compressor. I've seen a few bad copelands this summer- 22 and 410a. Maybe their quality control took a powder when a certain batch was rolling off the assembly line. Was this new (2 years old) condensing unit used to replace an older system that could've had a burn out (acid\moisture\sludge\carbon)? Although I'd have to say, the majority of the breakdowns I've seen this year were mechanical (that awful sound like ball bearings banging around inside a coffee can).

Could be, but more often than not, thats what the contractor who failed to install the required add ons would say.