I chose a contractor to install A/C in a rental I purchased in another state. I get price $X quoted for an Aire-flo 10 SEER. I renegotiate for a Carrier Performance 13 SEER w/410A refrigerant for $X + $475. Install happens on the 21st. The house is empty and contractors weren't supervised. My contact in the area says A/C went in fine no trouble. I get invoice in the mail today for just $X charged. HMMMM.... Investigation reveals that instead of the Carrier Performance 13, I get a Carrier TKB Comfort 10, 10 SEER R22. At least I didn't get the Aire-flo.

So, the question is, should I stink this up? Would there be a significant upside in doing so? Is there any significant downside to letting it all slide?

Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. THX, TC

Hmmmm....something don't smell right about all this. I would think the difference between a generic brand 10 SEER and a Carrier 13 SEER would be significantly higher than $475. Call your contractor and discuss it with them, but it appears there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the lines.

Bobby

I'd want what I agreed to at that price.Why not at least call and ask what happened?

Thanks BBjr. Maybe I got a low price quote and they just didn't want to make good on their pricing mistake when it came right down to doing the job. Maybe they just upgraded to the TXB to help me swallow their mistake. I want to talk to them about it, but I'm not sure what I should say, other than it's not right and give me what we agreed on. Would putting in the Carrier puron unit require the entire thing (evap and line set)to be removed and replaced? Would I really be saving enough $ on electricy to warrant making them change the unit out and paying the extra $475? I want tenents in this place ASAP, but I don't want them to have to endure an A/C removal/install. Like I said I know making further contact would be making a stink, but I can do that. I just want someone elses opinion if I should.

tallcotton

1st - Why in the world would yo put a 13 seer puron system in a rental house??

2nd - was there a written contract od proposal ( signed), if not it is yur word against theirs. Always have a contract signed by both parties.

3rd - I'd call the company and respectfully tell them what you told us - see what their response is.

We have a company in this area that does this regularly - its the only co. that i will talk bad about - pure hacks.
    But they will sell a trane and install a rheem ( which is cheaper) - I have witnessed this several times from them.
    When you call them, just determine, if you can, was there a reasonable explanation as to why they did what they did. It very well could have been nothing more than a communications problem.

Hope this helps,
    Richard

Bornriding

1. This house is where I will retire to in a year.

2. I'm 2200 miles away, no contract, my bad. Referred to this outfit by my Genral Contractor cousin in the area.

3. Their explanation: "You told us you didn't like the puron referigerant, because it was 410A so we agreed to put in the 10 seer r22 unit." After a second or two of disbelief, I say "good answer." Ultimately the phone call ended with me saying I would take my business elsewhere in the future.

I didn't even pursue how I got the carrier instead of the Aire-flo.

tall

I do feel for ya. Can understand what you did & why. Not much you could do. Probably handled it as well as yu could.

Good luck,
    Richard

Oh my, what a bummer. Sorry to hear the results, but on the other hand, the Carrier will give you good service if it is properly installed. My company started years ago making it company policy that we have to have a signed proposal in hand before we will order any equipment. This protects us and the customer from situations such as you describe.

Bobby

Did you have a signed proposal in the beginning?
    I noticed you posted that you received an invoice for work done. Is that the only paperwork involved in this transaction??
    Be careful of advice suggesting that you should get what you wanted in the beginning if you cannot prove the content of your agreement.

[Edited by chillbilly on 10-01-2005 at 09:58 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by tallcotton

2. I'm 2200 miles away, no contract, my bad.

I think he knows he doesn't have a signed contract/proposal.

Cotton, as others have mentioned, the price difference between 10 and 13 don’t jive. Sounds like you had a failure to communicate which can easily happen if there is no contract.
    A contract, whether singed or not will put into writing what is expected of each party.
    Jax

2200 miles away is really a poor excuse for not securing a signed contract, don't you think?
    Proposals can be transmitted via FAX unless you are out in the bush without any electronic sending devices at all.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be overly critical, just pointing out the obvious.

Contractors perform work based on a written contract... that's what we do.
    Without that, it's a matter of proving an oral agreement which is very hard.
    Good luck to you.