Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the company I am at talkedabout all of these opertunitys to advance , so when ac start up , service, commercial service, anything came up I applied , untill I was told by a supervisor 1 day that they arent about to hire someone your age in those positions

another big problem is that it is difficult for someone our age to work for 3 gallons of gas an hour

Hey gibren

I wasn't saying all of the older career change guys. Some like yourself are already mechanically inclined, and worth highering.

My last hire was 61 and could work, he wasn't the mechanic he said he was, My bad I should have tested him.

You would be an exception.

Like this Go to FAQ up top

Thanks all...does sound like it just depends on me and the companies I apply to....so we will see next year what happens. I'm thinking residential for no particular reason...just the way I'm leaning.

Originally posted by mattm
    42 is ancient.
    Mattrm Ill beat you with my cane as soon as I get out of my walker Actually since I attend community college with a lot of really young girls walking around in some really small outfits... I do feel like an old pervert hanging out at the school yard...I just need to get a trench coat and some candy.

PJS this will actually be my 2 major career change...and all have been major changes. USMC grunt to social worker (after 7 years of college) ....Social worker...and now to HVAC/R...with a job as a security guard while going to school..why the change???? 10yrs of social work burned me out...why HVAC....I like working on machines, it was a 1 year program, the VA voc rehab counselor said they would pay for the program, and I live in Florida..not a woke up one day and TV evangelist smacking me on the head and giving me the calling...it seems like a field I will enjoy and can make reasonable $$ in......maybe not guven level of $$ but who knows

guess worst case Ill go back to social work and be a hack who does change outs on the side and under bids the real companies.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Originally posted by selfemployed
    42 is ancient.
    IS NOT
    Is too.

Originally posted by selfemployed
    42 is ancient.
    IS NOT
    Is too.
    Is not
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

If you think 40 is old. Try 57 and as of today I am 58.
    I have a job now but it took longer then it should have. Talk to account manager and they would be all excited about my resume, When they went to the property manager (usually someone in their 30s) all of a sudden they wern't hiring just now or the position got forzen. I was even ask point blank three times "Len just how old are you". Age discrimination is out there and companies are loosing because of it.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

OK...whats the answer?........How do you over come discrimination?
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

If they are concerned about your age they already have a mindset that will be hard to change. If you were in a union they would not be able to disqualify you from a job opprotunity that you qualify for because of your age. Other than that it is a matter of selling yourself and asking yourself deep down what you are willing to do at the age that you are at,

Are you really ready to get out there and hump filters in the blazing sun ?

Can you do it even if you are willing ?

In my honest opinion if a guy is starting in this field at 40 or over he should have inhouse work in his sights. It is probably to late in the game to learn a service truck way of life because the first few years can be absolutely brutal on mind, body and soul , and I have not seen any of the ones that tried it be successful at it. Sorry for the negative reply but you will be one of a very few that make this change successfully if you do. I believe it was a bad choice to attempt this and someone should have warned you about it before you did it. Keep your eyes open for inhouse jobs at Schools, facilities coordinator, large buiding maintenance that type of work. It will be a lot easier transition and it will give you experience without the pressure of performance that comes with a service truck.With a couple of years of that under your belt you may become more desirable in the service field to some contractors.

Good Luck

my dad could and did at the age of 52 so I say go for it
    if you dont' you will just be older
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

perspective

When I turned 48 my dad sent me a B-day card that said ( so you think your old, I've got underwear I use for dust rags that are older than you are). That was a few of years ago. Older people have a better approach to problems or bad situations, having been there before. It makes the difference in how they were handled from the customers viewpiont.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Doglips, I think you'll get job offers. It may take longer than if you were younger and more experienced. You may also be the first one to get laid off when business slows down.

I think that the difference between starting out older vs younger in this business is that if your heart isn't in it, you won't last long at it if you're older.

You really have to love this business to succeed in it when you enter it at a later age. You must also be in good physical condition and capable of doing as much work as someone 20 years younger. Not just the strenous lifting, but the stamina to work very long hours at peak times and get up day after day doing it all over again.

If you get hurt to the extent that you can't do what's expected of you, well, nobody wants to pay you if you can't do it.

But with all of that being said, let met tell you about my
    cousin. I used to think he was nuts. He was a fragile little guy who had a menial job sewing all day in a clothing factory. He started taking night classes in HVAC at the local college while in his 30's. This went on for years and years. After a while, I thought he was a perpetual student. He eventually earned a degree after reaching age 40. He finally got a permanent in-house job repairing equipment in the shop at a large corporation and he loves it. HVAC work has always been his dream. He comes home exhausted, but he loves what he does and that's the only way he could do it.

Geessss. I'm 63. When my son went to work for one of the largest contractors in New Mexico they asked him if his dad wanted a job. It's about doing a job well and obtaining a rep for a good piece of work. I always let age discrimiation be the other guys problem , never mine. I think and feel younger than my age and I know it's all in my head. Wouldn't you if you had a business like to hire someone like Colin Powell or some other over achiver like that. Just don't ask me to take a fiver on top of a roof. I'll pay for the crane myself.
    Tracers work both ways.

We just had a 65 year old service tech retire from a service truck. He was an avid cyclist and was in great shape. The average age of our top 5 service techs is over 40 years and the customers love us old guys. Just get a job, any job and you will learn fast if you apply yourself.
    If you can find an Industrial service co or a commercial co. that does not do 90% rooftop work try them first as the work is a much slower pace than residential. If you really want to jump into the fire look for a Refrigeration Service co.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast