Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Confused

Is it hard for older people to find a job in the HVAC Field?

We were talking around school today about the different ages of the students from early twenties to my age (42) about how the younger "kids" will have an easier time getting a job than us "old guys"...I was curious what you all have seen or experienced in the real world of HVAC/R.

Is it hard for 40 yr olds to start out in this field or get hired by companies?

At what age do companies seem to not want someone?

How is the Job market for both 20 and 40 yr olds?

ON a side note...ACDON your in my area (I'm in Cocoa)...what's the wages like around here?
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Buddy Let Me Tell you What...........No One Wants a Old Tech....After 40, Your Chances Go Down hill Fast
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Thats not true I would take one in a heart beat.

Most of the time they are more depenable,more knowledgeable
    and they have a family to feed so most time will be at work
    everyday and on time.

My last hire was 42.

and I hunted him down. Wife and kids and mortgage. He's got responsibilities. Great employee.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I would hire someone over 40 as long as i though they was able to do the job

I got re-hired at 45 back to the same company i was at a year earlier!

I think 40+ should be no problem as long as you are not 300+lbs and need a cane to walk. Im only 250lbs!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Senior Tech Guest
    Okay, I'm over 40 and want a job...only requirement(s) as follows:

Only acceptable location is Hawaii

Hours of work...let's say...1pm til 2pm (guys gotta have free time)

Pay scale 250 thou a year unless you provide all room and board then I'll drop to 240 thou a year.

Any takers?

P.S. I don't do windows

F4??i]Originally posted by simpleman [/i]
    Thats not true I would take one in a heart beat.

Most of the time they are more depenable,more knowledgeable
    and they have a family to feed so most time will be at work
    everyday and on time.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you say about being more stable and all. But I disagree when it comes to actually finding a contractor who ahs the wisdom and the high enough standards in order to hire and keep a seasoned mechanic.

I've forgoten more about this industry than half the young bucks even know.
    But who gets the jobs?
    The young ones.

If the older guys quit learning right now ... it would still take twenty years for the young uns to match some of us old farts.
    Now this dont pertain to every single aspect of the field, but in general, it sure does.

I'm so sick of looking and having interviews ... usually it's with some guy who is younger than me.
    And my last position paid me more than he is presently making. Yet HE is interviewing ME!
    I find no logic in that.

In mature cultures, the older ones are given respect.
    No one would ever talk back to or look down upon an older man who is in the trades.
    Yet here, in America .... it happens everywhere, everyday!
    Even on this forum!!!

You dont have to agree with everyone who is older ... but you sure need to demonstrate respect to them. Even behind their backs!!!

I figure the shops today are run by arrogant people who have no people skills and dont recognise a good man when they meet one.
    That's the main reason I have tried to stay on at the last several jobs I had. Even though all of them were substandard in so many ways.
    It just wasnt worth it to go back looking for a better oportunity.

I am so sick of filling out applications, only to be either ignored or simply humiliated by stupid questions!
    Then the clincher is when your hired and given less than you were promised. And even that was much less than what your worth.

If I took a picture of the last two trucks I was given to perform out of, you'd all be laughing so hard Don would have to close down the site for the night. ...

You Just Put a Condition On?......What Is your difinition Of Able To Do the Job......Hop Around Like a 25 year Old....And Put 3 HP Compressor On your Shoulder And carry It up a ladder?......Thats what most Employers Want today?

I agree With 12......It took Me 5 Months To Find a Job That match My Skills, And now After 2.5 Months, They sold The company, And the new owners, Let it be knowed that There is no place for Senior Techs........To Much Cost on Health insurance.

I don't think the age matters. It depends on how you adapt to this kind of work. What part of the field do you want to be in, service or installs? Service calls for being able to diagnose & repair a problem in a reasonable time and not look stupid trying to figure out something that you have no knowledge of.

Installs take a strong back & knees, can get pretty physically demanding especially in tight attics & crawlspaces. There are a LOT of things to remember in this field whether you do them 2-3 times a year or everyday. I had young guys work for me, I would teach them something, and 3 weeks later they would forget how to do it, their response would be "What,I have'nt done that in a long time"

Originally posted by senior tech
    Okay, I'm over 40 and want a job...only requirement(s) as follows:

Only acceptable location is Hawaii

Hours of work...let's say...1pm til 2pm (guys gotta have free time)

Pay scale 250 thou a year unless you provide all room and board then I'll drop to 240 thou a year.

Any takers?
    That's a tempting offer.
    Could ya possibly go from 1 till 2:30?
    And will ya work in Cleveland...and how about $2500 a year?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Senior Tech Guest
    Dice...

Rules are rules, no Cleveland, no $2500 per year, 1 1/2 hours a day? You must be crazy, at my age I need my beauty rest.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast