Husband & I have just bought my first home (built 1971, in Greater Toronto Area.) Our furnace is original to the house and we've only lived there June through present (so went through much of summer but none of winter.) I believe our A/C is a 1991 unit (no idea on specs) except the person who came in to give a quote thinks it's older.
Anyway..wondering if you can tell me your thoughts on the quote (mainly if it's the right size etc for my home):
1. Furnace: Carrier Infinity + infinity thermostat --> 60,000 BTU
2. A/C: Carrier 11 Seer, 1.5 tonne
About our house:
- Raised bungalow
- windows distributed at front and back of house (on East and West sides)
- during the summer, our A/C just did not cut it...was extremely warm upstairs as sun beats in heavily during the day plus perhaps improper venting...?? (note: our contractor did not really assess that issue...just that we could add a vent closer to the ceiling in one of the bedrooms)
- main floor is 1300 square feet, 4 bedrooms, l-shaped living/dining, kitchen w/ walkout to deck/backyard
- basement has a separate front entrance, windows are full size...so about half height of basement is underground
- basement square footage is approx 900 sq feet (as the 2-car 400 sq ft garage takes up some of the bsmt)
- oh, the house also has a good working humidifier + electronic air cleaner
Is there anything I should be asking about/looking for when comparing quotes/service levels, etc...? Do I need the 2 speed variable stuff? Can just buying a great thermostat help make a not as fancy furnace run more efficiently?
Thanks so much - I appreciate your help. (and sorry for this long post!)