Angry

I have a Quadrafire 1200 I pellet stove insert in my fireplace. It's 2 years old. after being shut off all summer, I attempted to start it up the other day and the auger will not feed the pellets into the firepot.

The blower turns on. The red light ligths up, pushing reset does nothing.

I cleaned out the "vacuum switch" box (it was pretty dirty) and tried to start it up again, no luck.

Any suggestions on what this might be? I'd hate to make a service call if I can avoid it, (plus my local dealer is not the most responsive).

Wondering aloud...since the manual told me that the vacuum switch box would shut off the auger if dirty, I am wondering do i need to reset something now? Could a dirty flue liner shut the auger down? (I was under the impression I didn't have to have the liner sleeve cleaned).

Or perhaps it's something else? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ok. I'm a bit underwhelmed here. No call back from the dealer, nor the manufactuer. No heat. It's getting cold.

Does anyone know a decent Wood pellet discussion board that might be able to help me?

Thanks/.

A blocked flue pipe can and will trip your vacuum switch. Since it worked fine last year, and didn't work the first firing of this year, there may be a nest or animal of some kind blocking the flue vent. You must clean the flu vent yearly as the fly ash produced by these stoves can block the vent. If the stove was installed properly then there should be a clean out tee at the bottom to help facilitate cleaning. It is an absolute myth that the vent does not need to be cleaned, even though pellet stoves are cleaner burning than a traditional wood stove, the flue pipes are much smaller. Clean the entire stove as directed in your owners manual, clean the flue pipe, make sure the auger and auger tube are clean and not jammed with pellets. Hope this helps.

Thanks Jdenyer.

My dealer is useless here. Arrrgh. I spoke with some others and a flue pipe is probably the cause. (the dealer told me when I bought the unit, I would NOT need to have a chimney sweep out to clean the pipe, like I did with my old wood stove.

I guess I do.

Of course this is the same dealer who said the only ash I would get from a pellet stove would be "a shot glass full" each day.

Got a licensed sweep comming out to clean the flue next week.

[Edited by drewstar on 09-29-2005 at 12:47 PM]

Cool, glad you are gonna get the flue cleaned out. The amount of ash produced varies, cheaper standard pellets generally produce more ash than the more expensive premium pellets. If it were me I would make a stink with the dealer. They sold and installed the unit and now they won't help you out when there is a problem? I for one would not be ok with that, and demand to speak with someone in charge, this in my opinion is just poor customer service. Some stoves have a baffle in them to keep excessive quantities of fly ash from getting into the flue, check your owners manual to see if there are baffles, and if so how to clean the ash out.

Talking contacted Quad

I emailed Carol at Quad to look into this for you. If you contact Tech Services and have the model & serial #, they would be happy to assist you. They also want to hear when dealers don't provide proper support.

Can you tell us what area of the country you're in?

Thanks for the replies guys. I am in Central MA. The Quad dealer here is a bozo. After a week they finally got back to me and started to tell me how to adjust the firepot trap door.

Talk about clueless, the firepot door issue was a service call I made last year. Arrrgh.

I've spoken with appears to be a decent sweep who is familliar with pellet stoves and says what was said here, yes a dirty clogged flue will trip the auger feed. I've burned through 7.5 tons (Energex premium)since cleaning the flue. So it's time for a cleaning. IF this doesn't correct the problem I will deal directly with Quad.

I've poured over the manual and the stove and there is no trap at the flue pipe (other than the vacuum box).

Thanks again.

The baffles if there are any won't be at the flue pipe or combustion blower. They are often times behind a removeable steel plate behind the burn pot. Again not every stove has baffles that need cleaning, so if your owners manual makes no mention of it, then chances are there is nothing there for you to do.

Behind my burn pot, on the back wall of the stove, are 2 steel plates. The heat exchange tubes are located here. I remove these plates and clean these out with a Cricket vacum and brush after every ton of pellets burnt. I also run the cleaning rods up and down these tubes every day.

Wink

I am happy to report that after having a chimney sweep come over and clean out the liner sleeve, the stove is working again.

There was a significant amount of "ash" in the vent pipe that caused the vacuum swicth to shut off the auger feed. Once the pipe was clean it started right up.

I've since spoken with several friends who have quadrafire stoves and this was news to them. Hopefully this thread will save someone the headache I had.

Thanks Herthman and Jdenyer. Keep warm this winter.