Mr. Slim testing - new instalation
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    29

    Mr. Slim testing - new instalation

    Hi guys,
    Let me tell you upfront: I have no clue about HVAC, none whatsoever!
    I bought a Mitsubishi Mini-Split, Mr. Slim 9000 btu (with heat pump), 1 zone. The reason I bought this one was reasonably priced - **** – 26 SEER, no tax and free shipping. Also, I’ve heard they’re pretty good.
    So, I mounted the outside unit on a wall brackets, ~3 feet above ground, run a 220v line to the disconnect box, drill a 3 inch hole above the window (through 2 layers of brick, 2nd floor bedroom), ran a SlimDuct line from the outside unit to the hole on the wall and anchored the back of the air handler on the bedrood wall. That was my yesterday weekend project.
    I did not connect the line set nor the power – I was thinking to get a pro to do that, vacuum the line, test for leaks and whatever.
    Now the problems begin. Most of them ignored me, since they want the whole work be done by them. However, I found three contractors willing to do the job. 1st one wants $*, 2nd $* and the 3rd $*. Why such a big price difference? All are “diamond” contractors. Does this involve major work/skills, super-duper expensive equipment? How many hours this job could take (the test I mean, hooking the line set and power can not be more than one hour, tops, with a coffee break) ?

    Of course, I’ll get the cheapest one, but the price range puzzles me.. Push come to shove, I’ll buy a set of gauges and a vacuum pump and do it myself, cheaper than any of those quotes… I know I’ll blow the warrantee, but paying for a line hookup and test more than I paid for the AC itself doesn’t seem right..
    Thanks a bunch!

    Pricing not allowed. Detailed DIY also not allowed here. Please review the site rules.

    Thank you,

    Mod Team
    Last edited by k-fridge; 06-20-2011 at 11:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    35,838
    What did you say?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

    www.AskTheDiceman.com

    www.TheColdConspiracy.com

    www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

    Bring Em Home....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    574
    You now have a 4th price, $10,000

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,184
    so the first guy wants$, how much of that do you think is profit? will this guy be able to afford 2G's per month for health insurance? How about fuel? what about accounts? forget a lawyer, you go after this guy you'll be suing the wind. what about over head, or a laborer?

    Use your head, getting the cheapest guy may not be the wisest choice.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-21-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Remove quoted text, and price in post
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Use your head, getting the cheapest guy may not be the wisest choice.
    i have no idea how much the profit is of $, if any. Are there any consumables to be used? Tools usage? As far as fuel, they're all in a 5 miles radius way from here.
    If he's getting 4 jobs a day, like mine, he could cover the health insurance for a month...
    I know i'm paying IBM techs, when i need, for $150/hr business hours and $175 weekends. I'm not trying to compare apples with oranges but they're pros too.
    Than again, is 500 too cheap for this job? Is 1900 a reasonable price?
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-21-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: price

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    212
    The problem is there is always someone that will agree to do the start up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpiner View Post
    The problem is there is always someone that will agree to do the start up.
    yeap, that's what they've called it

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,184
    so your basic question is, who's going to rip me off the least?

    you already bought and installed the equipment, why are you even concerned about a start up price?

    you could go with the $ guy and you still saved money.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-21-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: price
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Galveston Texas
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
    I know I’ll blow the warrantee
    That's the problem right there, if I remember right if any of the install is done by an unlicensed person you void the warranty. I could be wrong i haven't looked that the mitsu warranty papers in awhile (we've been lucky and only actually had to use it once in the whole time we've installed them).

    If we even touched this job (and we wouldn't cause of the circumstances of the HO buying the eq) a minimum we'd look at is time/material...prolly end up in the range of $
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-21-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: price

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    870
    Price/value is the key pivot in economics.
    "What price would make it worthwhile?" is the question that everyone asks.
    "What thing of value am I getting for this other thing of value?"

    When an AC company touches equipment they pick up legal liability.
    If something wasn't done right by you and it causes property damage or death later on someone will sue the company that did the small part of the job. They have the deep pockets or their insurance company does. Their license to perform business is at stake in some states. What thing of value have they received for assuming legal liability?


    Most AC companies in my town don't want to touch a mini-split.
    Heck, a lot of techs don't have a clue about them.
    What happens if it is broken out of the box? We would have to troubleshoot the problem and get a warranty repair part.
    All the while you will most likely be upset, because "It was fine until you touched it".

    The mark-up in a job provides the profit and allows us to afford to put up with the equipment many fine manufacturers put out. We go to classes to learn the idiosyncrasies of a line of equipment and are able to work with them competently. Mark-up also pays for the nice lady who answers the phones, dispatches the calls and a portion a long list of items any effective company needs to operate.

    You've purchased the materials and provided most of the labor to make a fine souffle. Now you want someone to come to your house and do the last bit, the part you don't have the equipment or training for. Most chefs wouldn't waste their time. Why should we? That is why the prices have such a range. It's how much they value what they have at stake, in time, overhead, legal liability and alternative uses of their time.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,906
    "Now the problems begin."
    No. the problems began when you decided to install it yourself.

    "Most of them ignored me"
    Good. They should have. Anyone willing to help you at this point is asking for trouble.

    "Of course, I’ll get the cheapest one, but the price range puzzles me.. Push come to shove, I’ll buy a set of gauges and a vacuum pump and do it myself, cheaper than any of those quotes… I know I’ll blow the warrantee, but paying for a line hookup and test more than I paid for the AC itself doesn’t seem right.."
    Of course you'll get the cheapest one, because to be honest, your a cheapo.

    You can kiss that warranty goodbye anyways:
    "The only way that you can be certain of full warranty protection and unmatched performance is by purchasing your Mr. Slim product from an authorized dealer."
    per: http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...internet-sales
    At this point, no matter who hooks it up, your on extremely shakey ground.

    Edit: Actually, I was wrong about this part.
    "MEUS warrants as follows to the original owner of this Mr. Slim product that, if purchased from and installed by a contractor licensed for HVAC installation under applicable local and state laws within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii, should it prove defective by reason of defects arising from improper workmanship and/or material"
    http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...anty-statement

    So, your not on shaky ground. You have no warranty at all, no matter who hooks it up. And yes, they track your unit's serial number, and they know that you bought it from out of state, and thus has a high probability of being an internet sale.


    What doesn't seem right, is a homeowner attempting to install his own heating and cooling, and electric.
    Then coming to a site ran by, and frequented by, HVAC professionals.
    Not shade tree HVAC mechanics. Professionals.

    I'm sure your read all the instructions before you installed this unit;
    Yet somehow you missed the NO DIY disclaimer?
    Then the top thread that SAYS IN BOLD: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING.
    What more has to be done, to drive the point home? Seriously.

    "Does this involve major work/skills, super-duper expensive equipment? How many hours this job could take (the test I mean, hooking the line set and power can not be more than one hour, tops, with a coffee break) ?"
    Actually, yes, it ise major work, skill, and require expensive equitment.
    If anyone can do that in an hour, then their a hack. Period. It's not physically possible to hook up lines AND CORRECTLY vacuum the system in an hour.


    What do you do for a living?
    Last edited by hvacvegas; 06-20-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  12. #12
    k-fridge's Avatar
    k-fridge is offline ARP Committee & Global Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,490
    I will remind everyone that neither pricing nor detailed DIY is allowed.

    To the OP...You have bought a piece of equipment through a source that is probably not not an authorized dealer. It's doubtful that you will have any warranty on the unit, definite that you won't get the extended warranty offered by the manufacturer when the equipment is sold and installed by an authorized dealer.

    Any HVAC company willing to install equipment purchased in this fashion for simple wages (cheap price) is probably not qualified or is possibly doing it "on the side" and is not authorized or insured.

    Frankly, you have done an end run around the qualified dealer network and the true professionals here won't be terribly excited about helping you in this case. The true professionals in this industry have invested their time and money into becoming exceptional at what they do, and they are worth every penny they charge. As for the cheap prices you listed before I edited your post...well, you will likely get what you pay for.

    In the end, you probably didn't get such a great deal after all.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Palm Beach,Fl.
    Posts
    953
    If a tech showed up at your house and said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
    Hi guys,
    Let me tell you upfront: I have no clue about HVAC, none whatsoever
    you wouldn't let him "install" it would you? You can't possibly justify that amount of sillyness. I understand money's tight for everybody, but this will end up costing you in the end.

    This trade involves a tremendous amount of training, skill and knowledge in electrical theory, physics, refrigeration theory and thermodynamics beyond practical working knowledge. People tend to think "its just an air conditioner" without understanding that its arguably the most highly engineered piece of equipment in your home.

    I have to assume that your knowledge of local and national electrical and mechanical codes is subpar at best and its entirely possible that a contractor would need to tear it all apart and start from scratch.

    Yes there are consumables involved, and yes there are MANY expensive tools and the skill to use them involved

    BTW I just purchased some black market organs online that i'm willing to install for you but, you'll want to get a doctor to finish the job
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event