Whats the story on Payne gas furnaces for reliability, parts availability, etc? It is supposed to be a Carrier unit.

They are a good unit. No bells and whistles with Payne. The furnaces are single stage only. Just the bare necessities. Are you looking at Payne as a replacement or new construction?

They are as reliable as Carrier's base model and parts availability for each brand is the same.

Payne is their builder grade equivelent model, you will not see two stage nor variable speed blowers. You will not see advetising, either. Good solid basic units, same boards, blowers and components as the Bryant & Carrier equivalents. Curiousily (rarely) but sometimes their cost is same as the name brand counterparts - go figure.

I was a big fan of Carrier & Payne til they came out with that new body style with the 1 door on the front. I liked the older style 40 inch furnace a whole lot better than that new style thats 30 inches tall.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Originally posted by amb4081
    They are a good unit. No bells and whistles with Payne. The furnaces are single stage only. Just the bare necessities. Are you looking at Payne as a replacement or new construction?

They are as reliable as Carrier's base model and parts availability for each brand is the same.
    I am looking at one as a replacement. I want a good serviceable unit but don't want to pay a bunch. I don't see the need for the "bells and whistles" considering I have lived most of my life in houses with a heating unit that looks like it was salvaged from a WWII battleship. I just don't want to pay a bunch and end up paying a ton more for replacement parts (or not being able to get them) and be w/o heat for days at a time.

try the payne 90%. It a great little unit

Noise

Originally posted by amb4081

Is there any reason why a Payne 90% model would be "noisier" (air movement-wise) than any other same quality model furnace? Aren't the blower units fairly comparable?

No, shouldn't make any more noise. You'll get very comparable operation between the two. In fact, it should be the same as a base model Carrier 90%.

Forget the equipment...

CONTRACTOR CONTRACTOR CONTRACTOR!