A question for the group.

I am racking my brain to figure out this problem I have been having with my 10 year old a/c unit, but I cannot figure it out. Every day since it has gotten warmer, my thermostat creeps up at least 3 degrees from the preset temp. I have it programmed to stay at 76, and it goes up to around 79 in the afternoons and stays there until sometime during the night, until it gets it back down to 76. I have checked the Freon, and it is at the correct level. I have about a 16 degree split temp from the vent versus the temp in the house, + or - 3 degrees or so. The attic temp is around 125 degrees around 5 in the afternoon when the thermostat starts to go up. I have checked the vents and they are all putting out air, so no ducts are disconnected. I have checked the return and it is pulling air at an acceptable rate with a clean filter. All the windows and doors are shut and I do not know of any leaks in the house. Even when it reaches the desired temp of 76, it still runs for what I think is an inordinate amount of time before it shuts off. Could the thermostat be bad? It is a 10 year old electronic one. I am sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted everyone who reads this to know that I have done my homework, at least I think I have, and I am posting here to hopefully find someone who may be able to shed some light on what may be causing the problem before I spend money on a service call. Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

"I have checked the Freon, and it is at the correct level."

Show your math please.

Possibily return/supply leaks.
    Could be alot of stuff.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Mid afternoon , go look at the big copper line comming out of the indoor unit and tell us whether its got ice on it ....

Its not big enough.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Its not big enough.
    you hear that alot ?

I'd suggest calling a service tech.
    Even with the information you gave, it could be a bunch of different things, and all of them would require a trained professional to assess on-site, not over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    I'd suggest calling a service tech.
    Even with the information you gave, it could be a bunch of different things, and all of them would require a trained professional to assess on-site, not over the internet.
    This is good advice.....the only other thing I can think of would be to read the owners manual and see if there is anything else you can do prior to calling a tech