+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dodge Ram 1500 AC not cooling

Post Likes

Dodge Ram 1500 AC not cooling

I dropped my truck off at a mechanics to have some tranny work done and the A/C in my truck was blowing out 45 deg. It would get cold on the lowest setting and 90 deg+ outside. Anyway Im paying the guy and he says your A/C isnt working good, you want us to check it. I said it was working great when I dropped it off and has been for 8 years. It even has a new condenser where I got hit head on last year.

I declined his offer to fix it as I figured he might have let some freon out, who knows. Now it blows out 65 deg and thats as low as it gets. I cleaned the condenser coil but it wasnt even dirty. I hooked up a can of 134 with the built in low side gauge and its pressure fell in the normal range telling me the freon level is fine. I can still here the compressor kick on so its running.

What could the problem be? Im not about to take it back to the same mechanic as I feel like they already know whats wrong with it and are just trying to screw me.
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Post Likes
    What pressure is it ? Maybe they broke your blend door in the duct or it's jammed partway or holed. Look for kinked line high side ? A/c control set wrong ?

Post Likes
    you need the truck warmed up hood down and idle it at 2000 rpms to simulated 55MPH and see if the vent temp drops to 40F-45F.if you have a hose to reach into the engine to the drivers side sit inside tweek the freon in as your rpm up you will reach that 4OF DON"T tip the can just gas only.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    I would just pull the charge an weigh it back in.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbertca View Post
    What pressure is it ? Maybe they broke your blend door in the duct or it's jammed partway or holed. Look for kinked line high side ? A/c control set wrong ?
    The gauge on the can just said "normal". Im going to buy some adapters that will allow me to connect my digicool gauges to my truck. I think I saw a set at United Refer. Im guessing the blend door allows some outside air to mix with the air being cooled? I will look for a kinked line. The control was set to all 4 settings and MAX A/C and the supply temp never gets below 65 deg. What pressures am I looking for on the guages with 2000 rpm and the hood closed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat hog View Post
    I would just pull the charge an weigh it back in.
    Good idea. Where can I find how much it holds, is this info in the owners manual ? Im guessing a lb or so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    you need the truck warmed up hood down and idle it at 2000 rpms to simulated 55MPH and see if the vent temp drops to 40F-45F.if you have a hose to reach into the engine to the drivers side sit inside tweek the freon in as your rpm up you will reach that 4OF DON"T tip the can just gas only.
    Good idea.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbertca View Post
    Maybe they broke your blend door in the duct or it's jammed partway or holed.
    Where is the blend door in relation to the transmission?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in