Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EASYSEAL!!

Have you ever tried to silver solder leaks inside the "u-bends" of an air coil? If you have, then you would not even ask. Not a repairable leak situation, but if the "easy seal" additive would work, it would have been ideal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Have you ever tried to silver solder leaks inside the "u-bends" of an air coil? If you have, then you would not even ask. Not a repairable leak situation, but if the "easy seal" additive would work, it would have been ideal!!!
    I'm not trying to cut you down. I understand how the post comes across that way, so I apologize, but I was just trying to add some flavor.

If I can see it I can braze it, but that skill didn't come easy and HO's aren't willing to pay for it. Frankly it's not always the smart choice anyway. I just replaced a coil for a customer. I dunked the evaporator in the tub and in addition to a larger u-bend leak I got four more very small leaks off the "field" of the coil. I would have destroyed that coil fixing all the leaks.

I was assuming replacement of the evaporator. I definitely wouldn't want to dump something in the system and be replacing the compressor / system two weeks later.

You'll never, ever catch me putting that crap in one of my Earthlink GSHP's noooo way Jose'
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

I have used the type of stuff a few times.
    It is always as a last ditch attempt to keep some antiquated piece of equipment running, usually when the leak is in the evap or condenser and not repairable.

I explain the success rate (about 50/50), the problems that it can cause, and that I personally think the money would be spent towards purchasing a new piece of equipment (which since I don't sell any equipment, I ain't trying to hustle a higher profit). And replace, as every time I have used it has been on stuff at least 20+ years old.

Sometimes they take the advice they are paying for, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But every time there is a signed ticket that clearly states that I am no liable and I warned them against using it.

I have used it some but don't really like to unless the HO just won't repair or replace, but the thing that gets me is I've never had a problem with it clogging the system. The stuff we use requires the system to run nonstop for atleast an hour. I wonder if the reported issues could be due to the HO not letting it run as it needs to?

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    I have used the type of stuff a few times.
    It is always as a last ditch attempt to keep some antiquated piece of equipment running, usually when the leak is in the evap or condenser and not repairable.

I explain the success rate (about 50/50), the problems that it can cause, and that I personally think the money would be spent towards purchasing a new piece of equipment (which since I don't sell any equipment, I ain't trying to hustle a higher profit). And replace, as every time I have used it has been on stuff at least 20+ years old.

Sometimes they take the advice they are paying for, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But every time there is a signed ticket that clearly states that I am no liable and I warned them against using it.
    After replacing a system last year that had that crap blow out all over the crawl, in a lineset that ran thru the wall and couldn't be replaced, and flushing the lineset with a whole tank of nitrogen, I will double my price if I even think it's been treated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    After replacing a system last year that had that crap blow out all over the crawl, in a lineset that ran thru the wall and couldn't be replaced, and flushing the lineset with a whole tank of nitrogen, I will double my price if I even think it's been treated with it.
    I hadn't considered that at all!

That's a very scary prospect!

Do these cans come with a label, the same way when you convert a system to a different refrigerant or put dye into a system you can label it?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post

Do these cans come with a label, the same way when you convert a system to a different refrigerant or put dye into a system you can label it?
    It was nasty.....I only left the section of lineset that ran from the crawl to the second floor and pieced in from there on both sides. Then blew with a whole tank of nitrogen because I couldn't get rid of the smell

The ones I have used do.
    The manufacture says the sealant only seals when it is in contact with refrigerant, oil and air. Which can cause a problem. Car mechanics hate it because those auto vacuum, reclaim and charge machines some have are ruined if this stuff gets in them.

It was nasty.....I only left the section of lineset that ran from the crawl to the second floor and pieced in from there on both sides. Then blew with a whole tank of nitrogen because I couldn't get rid of the smell
    Ok, what about the label? how did you know it was pooch-screwed?

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Ok, what about the label? how did you know it was pooch-screwed?
    Probably did it himself :-P.

I would imagine just by the smell of it.

I know what your thinking darc. Kind of like when you do a propane conversion, and you put your propane sticker on it?

The sticker should probably say: "A hack was here."

Just kidding, just kidding.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Probably did it himself :-P.

I would imagine just by the smell of it.

I know what your thinking darc. Kind of like when you do a propane conversion, and you put your propane sticker on it?

The sticker should probably say: "A hack was here."

Just kidding, just kidding.
    Homeowner told me his "buddy" attempted it first..............and I didn't think anything about it until I was in the crawl and couldn't figure out what this black sticky sh*t with a powerful sweet smell was.....

same smell that came out of the vent on the lineset while I was purging.........

Homeowner told me his "buddy" attempted it first..............and I didn't think anything about it until I was in the crawl and couldn't figure out what this black sticky sh*t with a powerful sweet smell was.....

same smell that came out of the vent on the lineset while I was purging.........
    powerfull sweet smell.
    Black sticky crap.
    Is there anything else?

Maybe they should make a kit for detection of leak stop, that was we can know.

I offically copyright that idea. If I find that it's invented next week, I'll know who to go after!!!
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

There may be a guest arriving shortly.... With a different opinion.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast