Thread: Trane Summit

Does anyone know a contractor or vendor(Other then the local service agency) that can monitor a Tracer Summit system for us.

If so please e-mail us at Ross@rossmechanicalgroup.com

There are about a million companies across the U.S. that could monitor the system, but you want someone local, and someone who is not going to cut your throat and try to get the entire contract. What do you mean by monitor? Actually have someone set by a remote workstation 24/7 and watch it or do you just want what most people get, page out to cell, pager, and remote workstation of technician on call? Shouldn't be too hard to find a good company local.
    Two wire hook up, three wire f**k up.

I noticed from your earlier post that you described the types of applications that you're looking for a DDC product line to fill. Solidyne is a great fit for what you're looking to do, both from the price range and product offering angles. I say that because I'm the Solidyne factory guy in Philadelphia and I know who you guys are and just what you're looking at here in the way of applications.

There is no dealer "quota", there is no "push" from our end, the market in and around Philly is wide open for us right now, the learning curve is cut because we can train you right here {in your own facility} and you have local support when you need it. My perception is that your core hvac service business is what you'll use to drive your "DDC business", at least to start, so brand name recognition is not a key factor for you at this point. Installing a product that does exactly what you promised your customer it would do is all that really matters to them, and you. It will become more important if you jump into the plan & spec cesspool and have to deal with engineers - but I don't perceive that to be a place where you want to go (for now). I believe you would like to be able to go into a commercial office building with 4 or 5 rtu's and be able to put in 4 or 5 controllers, network them together, add a network interface unit and a modem for remote access and be able to submit your bill {with a decent profit for a change} and move on to the next one. We can enable you to do that. We can also enable you to do a 500 controller network completely "web enabled" with integration to other manufacturers' products via drivers for LON, BACnet, Modbus, Tracer 100, Network 8000, Veris, Andover AC8/256, etc. or anywhere in between.

If this seems of interest, please feel free to contact me.

P.S. Before I get hammered by all the LON types out there we offer two product lines - one is LON and the other is a proprietary protocol we have used for decades. Dealer's choice to use one or the other, or both.

The only hammer you get is on the proprietary. Think about it a minute.... a mech has to deal with everyone's stuff. It's just easier if it can all talk if it has to.

With BACnet there are no guarantees on compatibility and everyones implementation is different. Proprietary must gate. With LON it's device to device and very scaleable.

EDIT - Gotta do a 'case-in-point' on you here. That Solidyne SLN LON series looks just like an Echelon/CSI VAV (TAC) controller/Invensys controller lineup to me... so apparently you guys find it not so bad to mix/match either.

BTW - I would have called Circon instead.

[Edited by sysint on 09-26-2005 at 07:07 PM]

No argument here about the mix/match - never stated we were against it in the post - that's why the P.S. is on the post.

In today's world, as a manufacturer, you need to have an "open protocol" product offering to go with a proprietary line if you still offer one or you're not going to be viable for much longer.

Yes, the LON product we have is Invensys - does it really matter? If it does for the owner what the contractor promised it would do and the owner is satisfied isn't that what it's really all about? Customer satisfaction is the best way I know of to achieve "exclusivity", or whatever you would call not giving your customer reason to call one of your competitors.

In response to the BTW - we weren't looking for just the so called "best" digital product here - but the best package. The entire Invensys component product offering is directly available to us now - Circon, nor the rest of the LON only producers, could offer that. That's why we're there.

tracer summit

Thank you for the imput-Sorry to cut this short, I will be happy to talk to a controls firm that understands my goals and what drives my sales.

Service and service agreements drive it for us now. Now back to the Summit questions. We have a prospect that is bidding out their 1,000,000 sqft distribution center.
    they have 75+ package units 5-25tons attached to the summit.

They want a price to dial in every couple of days and look for alarms. They say 24/7 but to be realistic this is not a security firm, pharma, hospital ect, just rtus to keep the warehouse comfy. I have a few techs that have been through summit basic training but I do not own a copy of the software. I also do not want to invest the money to purchse this as we do not get called to do this very much.
    I can not call the local trane dealer-being that they were the only other firm on the job walk through. It's so nice to see Trane bidding on little RTU's .

In terms of local-If they can work on Eastern Standard time M-F 8:00am-4:30 then please contact me. Ross@rossmechanical group.com

You need a copy of Tracer Summit and a phone number. At the office you need a PC with the software on it and a modem. Shouldn't take you long after that.

There is no reason you can't do that much on your own. Maybe someone has a copy of software to give you for demonstration purposes.

What version are they at, if its above 12 its going to have the timer lock down on it, if not, I am sure that someone will send you a helping hand package, anything to keep money out of big orange.

summit

Right now the client has the original from 2001. Not sure what version. I did not see the computer. However can an older version read the newer 12-16 version for alarms.

P.S.
    Does anyone have a demo I can use.

In my opinion, for the two cents its worth, will not talk up. The software is capable to talk down, but even then, I have seen issues where other companies came in and it scrambled the database. Its not the most friendly program in the world, always lots of issues. Look at it this way, by the time you pay someone automation labor rate, most companies around here get a buck fifty an hour or better, twice a week...Then if you have issues you will need to direct connect, or if their front end crashes...

Smile Tracer Summit

IMHO It would be to your benefit to purchace the version 16 Summit software and do the monitoring yourself. If you are going to rely on another contractor to do it, they'll take away your account in no time simply because you can't take care of it yourself due to your lack of initiative. Look at it this way...if you have the software, then you can monitor many more clients and do a more thorough job from your remote location. What about possibly selling them a workstation so they can have their own facility managers do the monitoring? That's the beauty of Tracer Summit...It's designed to be user frindly and if it's set up right, it is the easiest and most complete building management software out there. The trick is to have someone savy enough to set it up correctly. I find too many people don't take the time to set up their clients workstation correctly to be user frindly. It's sell it, get it loaded, and get out. But like I said, this is MHO.
    Good day.

Hmm not so sure I should admit this but around 2001 that would be version 11 or 12 I'd say. The building Owner "should have been given a copy of the as built software from their "friendly" Trane dealer on CD.
    Having said that it may have been "lost".

I successfully loaded a "Backup" copy on to another computor for "Testing" purposes
    Now I did not have a BCU hooked up but it did load the pages correctly and seemed to run ok if you noodle through the tracer filers you will find a registery editor that when you run it it will add the necessary regestry entries you need then i just put a short cut on the deck top

Once you have the proper pass words etc and can get into the security area you can then setup all the access you need no problem via remote site etc

should just req a bit of legwork..
    Ps using a external HD connected to the usb port is an easy way to copy the program for "Backup porpouses"
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains