Question

I am currently installing a corn furnace in my house and I have to run duct work since its forced air. My question is where do I place the resisters in each room and how many do I need in each room? what is the duct material called that is like foam insulation and you form it to create the box? where can I find this material? seems like it would be better to use than the old sheet metal duct

I sure would only use metal with a corn furnace --

what were you using for heat before?

probably most users of these stoves just use fans to blow the hot air into other rooms -- the one my Daughter has would not push air throught any size duct, because the fan is too small -- just provides some air movement for draft across the burning embers.

a regular HVAC installer can give you an estimate & install the ducts --

else, go to local trade school, buy an ACCA Manual D, which tells how to design a duct system.

HAVE a make- up air pipe, or keep a nearby window slightly open.
    HAVE a CO detector by the bedrm area! get a $100 one --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by cem-bsee
    I sure would only use metal with a corn furnace --

probably most users of these stoves just use fans to blow the hot air into other rooms -- the one my Daughter has would not push air throught any size duct, because the fan is too small -- just provides some air movement for draft across the burning embers.
    I second the metal ducting.

(cem-bsee) Some of these units duct just like an ordinary forced air, gas fired furnace.

Get this mess sized and installed by a pro. That is not a DIY project. Of course, if you don't, you've got no one to blame but yourself. One of the most messed up duct systems I've ever seen was designed by a DIY'r and installed by a local yokel duct man that owed this guy a favor(and had no clue).

Imagine, 3 Package units with heat disabled, pointing to a central supply plenum and shared supply ducts with a shared, single return plenum and then throw in a 2000 CFM blower on a corn furnace for a total of 4 units sharing the same supply and return ductwork. In heating mode, you could feel the return alternately suck then blow, since the supply and returns were a loop through the 3 pack units!

Guy had the nerve to get mad at me when I told him his entire duct system was scrap metal and the only way I'd mess with it was to do a Manual J/D and re-install everything per that.

Corn furnaces, good for the environment, but only if you do it right. Otherwise, you're wasting good hog chow.