Defrost terminator or defrost heater.

What's the most likely guys? Coil freezing up, defrost timer working. I jumpered the terminator to test if it continues to freeze over. Sound like a plan?
    This is just a domestic freezer/ refrigerator but in a second floor location and difficult to move.

Better plan is to check the individual components while you had it taken apart so you don't have to play the guessing game. Put it in defrost and use a voltmeter to check what component is open. Or unplug unit, take apart the individual components and ohm them out.

Checking the terminator is a little difficult for me . By removing the ice I probably heated the terminator to the point that it's open if it wasn't anyway.
    The heater is not open but I don't know how ohms it should read.

take of the terminator and put into into a freezer (or whatever temp you need it at) see if it closes and opens

also ive never came across a heater that was shorted out, but im sure it has happened

I did as Marter suggested. Terminator tested good. Is the defrost timer a possibility? Or should I test the heater again and try and figure out how many ohms is normal?

you don't really need to know the ohms....just that it's showing resistance and not open or shorted.

If you really want to check it...put 110v to it and see if it burns your fingers...lol.

maybe the fan is not working intermittently...maybe product is blocking the airflow....maybe the drain is plugged and that is causing the freezing...and maybe the def. control is defective... maybe the door gasket is no good. maybe it's low on gas....
    Last edited by sprmktrefertech; 06-19-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

What about the t-stat ?

When you saw the frozen coil, did you see frost or ice? Was the buildup of frost or ice even across the coil?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/