Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    i have a Lifewise Environizer and the directions say it produced" less than 50 parts per billion by volume of air circulating thru the product." my question is that safe to use ? it says its under the limit. i have them in the kids rooms but turned them off until i find out if it's safe.

thanks

rule of thumb...ANY ozone at sea level is NO-goooood.

I kinda think that the established guidelines for indoor ozone levels should be taken with a grain of salt until more research is done. Some people seem to be more susceptible to the effects than others, especially those with asthma. These people often have issues with it even when it's within the allowable guidelines.

midhvac

If you haven't already done so, you may want to Google "ozone" or "IAQ".

Best regards...

OOOPS...

That previous post was for TRC. Sorry.

One of these days I'm going to make a gigantic EAC, hook it up to a killer blower system and see if I can fire some of that ozone back up into the stratosphere.

It seems that as HVAC guys we are always either depleting or creating ozone

Wish someone would let me know if they want it or not
    Then I would know which area to specialize in

Gravity?

Ozone up there-Good.
    Ozone down here-Bad.

Re: Gravity?

Originally posted by Stamas
    Ozone up there-Good.
    Ozone down here-Bad.

you think if we got some really big fans we could move it where we want it?

Putting Ozone into the house for IAQ reasons is something that I don't recommend.

EPA says about ozone:

Good Up High - Bad Nearby

The American Lung Association says:
    http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35696

"Some air cleaners (called ozone generators) use an electrical charge to generate ozone. Although ozone (also referred to as trivalent oxygen or saturated oxygen) is a necessary part of the upper atmosphere (10-30 miles above us), in the part of the atmosphere we breathe, ozone is a potent lung irritant. It can have damaging health effects, especially for persons with asthma and other lung diseases, children and the elderly. It is produced directly by ozone generators and indirectly by ion generators and some other electronic air cleaners. The FDA has set a limit of 0.05 parts per million of ozone in indoor air. Ask whether any electronic air cleaner you are considering buying has been tested for ozone production. The American Lung Association suggests that ozone generators not be used."

There is just no real consensus on the dangers of ozone to give me faith in any of the opinions given.

I would rather look at what is causing the IAQ problem and fix the root-cause. Ventilation also works very well most of the time, but can make some IAQ issues worse.

In a nutshell, if it was my family, I wouldn't use them. Do your own research and you might feel different.

I have a Friedrich 90A air cleaner. Very highly recommended by Consumer Reports. They say it produces "some" ozone, but well below most "ozone generators". The room I have it in is the only room that smells "fresh" in the house. Other rooms often smell like DSS from the A/C. All this negative ozone talk has me wondering if I should be running it.

That fresh smwll is the ozone

Gee,

what do you think that smell after a rain & lightning storm is? Sure smells pretty clean to me (must be ozone)!
    WHY?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast