Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have a *&&** expletive deleted cat who sneaks down at night and eats my 14 YO cat's food. As soon as the back door opens boom it is gone 150MPH.

Any ideas on how to bait the humane trap? I've tried food in front of door, food a few inches in the door and food at the back. Cat is smarter than me. Tried tuna fish too.

Anyone have any experience catching a ^&^^ cat in a humane trap?

Lots of experience getting rid of unwanted cats, none of it included humane traps.

What's the point of trapping it? So you can pay the SPCA to keep it for two weeks before they kill it? Or so you can move it into someone else's neighborhood and make it someone else's problem?

Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Leave a window open that you can shoot from
    Get a 22 short rifle and 22 short bullets
    Put the 2 together and aim for the head
    Very humane it won’t feel a thing

Originally posted by west_seth
    I have a *&&** expletive deleted cat who sneaks down at night and eats my 14 YO cat's food. As soon as the back door opens boom it is gone 150MPH.

Any ideas on how to bait the humane trap? I've tried food in front of door, food a few inches in the door and food at the back. Cat is smarter than me. Tried tuna fish too.

Anyone have any experience catching a ^&^^ cat in a humane trap?
    I have a mid size humane trap. It was just the right size to rid the last place I lived at of the coons that got into the garbarge. When I first tried to trap stray cats in it, it failed because they were not heavy enough to press the release platform. I got it to work by adding more weight to the platform. I simply bait it with the food that they are already stealing and remove all other dishes. My cat trapped overnight once so it will not go in again. The days of shooting an animal are past. Take it to the animal shelter and let them do their job.

Why you feeding your cat outside? Cats belong in the house, they'll live longer healthier lives and you won't have strays collecting in your yard. Those of you who think it's OK to shoot domesticated animals need to examine the laws in your area as well as your souls. Seth, line the end of the trap with cardbaord so the cat can't see the food, only smell it and see it from the open end... this will keep it from grabbing the food through the trap and clawing it out of the can instead of walking into the trap. Your local shelter will accept the cat, rehabilitate it and have it adopted, or put it down in a truely humane way if it is unadoptable. There will be no cost to you and you will have helped yourself as well as the stray. Do not allow the cat to bite you and identify it as a stray only, if an owner can be identified the stray will be back. Good Luck and thanks for doing the right thing for the cat.

On the pesky cat..

Yes, the days of discharging a fire arm around here are 20 years long gone. Never liked to hurt a domesticated animal anyway. Not their fault it is the owner's but is against the law to shoot them too!! The Cops would be out here pronto if they thought anyone was shooting a gun. (Good thing too!!)

I thought I saw some tags on it. A nice courtesy call to the owner with guess what I have? Would do the trick. Nothing else the animal shelter would sort it out. Good, clean, non sick animals usually find a home.

When I bought my home

there was a guy 1/4 mile away with like 50 cats. Didn't feed um very good cause he was old. They were everywhere in my yard at night. One night I f'd up and left a window open in the truck. One pissed in there and it was WAR! Leg hold trap and leftovers. Killed a cat about every night for a couple of months. Only mistake I made was I shot one in the head with a high powered pellet gun to keep the neighbors from hearin. Damn that made him mad! Not enough shock value in a pellet. After that it was a .22 stinger in the head. Everybody in town was like "Did you notice Marshy got rid of all them cats?" Yup.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Originally posted by hvac_czar
    Those of you who think it's OK to shoot domesticated animals need to examine the laws in your area as well as your souls.
    my soul is fine and i do think it is not only ok but a very good thing in some cases to destroy the pests

[/i]
    Your local shelter will accept the cat, rehabilitate it and have it adopted, or put it down in a truely humane way if it is unadoptable. There will be no cost to you [/QUOTE]

There is a cost here usually around $60 but I can do the job for way less than $1

And if you think it is humane for an animal to be euthanized but not shot you need to do some studying

Re: When I bought my home

Originally posted by spotts
    "Did you notice Marshy got rid of all them cats?" Yup.

Marshy What the hell is a "Marshy" and is it really that dangerous?

Oh by the way we have four cats, if I had known at the convention about this cat killing episode I would have scratched your eyes out.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Re: Re: When I bought my home

Originally posted by vmc1161

Oh by the way we have four cats, if I had known at the convention about this cat killing episode I would have scratched your eyes out.
    we have a cat also
    I am not saying that all cats should be killed
    but when they are a pest they need to be dealt with

We have three indoor only cats and seem to wind up with outside strays that hang around just like they were ours as well...so we leave food and shelter outside for the semi-ferils.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

If you want to get rid of it for good when you catch it here is a idea. Find a diabetic and get a needle loaded with long acting insulin. Give the shot to the cat and let it go. The insulin will start to peak in about 4 to 8 hours and it will drop dead somewhere else. Very little evidence to link you to it. Better than shooting it with a gun which will have PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) all over you.

lakeman
    that is not humane
    this is why i said if you get a clean shot and hit them in the head they are dead and didnt suffer at all

although I think if they are a pest they should be killed I dont think they should be made to suffer

note to anyone in a mobile home if you poison a cat expect to find it in the belly paper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast