Could someone tell me why any reputable contractor would install a Trane or Lennox or Carrier split system using an Allstyle plenum coil? I would like to see the major manufacturers void the warranty of any system that has these hideous things attached to them, then these unscrupulous contractors could pick up the tab (or builders)

I hear you on that. There are tens of thousands of those things installed in my area.
    There are even a couple of builders that had them installed in dual fuel systems.

The usual combo I see is one of those coils with a Goodman GMP furnace and a Carrier, Lennox or Trane outdoor unit.

I actually kinda like that so many have been installed around here. They are good job security, and good profit margins for replacing them with a real coil and plenum.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

never saw one, what is it ? 3rd party cased coil??

Sometimes a different coil must be used. ADP coils are shorter that Trane coils. The difference in cost, depending on the circumstance, could be prohibitive.
    Over all, I agree. A matched system is better. . .in a perfect word.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Originally posted by t527ed
    never saw one, what is it ? 3rd party cased coil??
    This is the POS we are talking about. http://www.allstyle.com/allstyleec/fm_lbsp2.pdf

The newer ones are a little better because they use a plastic drain pan and secure the refrigerant line connections a little, but they are still garbage.
    I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for any company that uses them.

Just the simple act of replacing one with a real coil and plenum improves the airflow through the system and evens out the air temperatures in the ductwork. This is without making any changes to the duct system outside of what is required to connect to the new plenum.

[Edited by mark beiser on 09-26-2005 at 01:13 AM]
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.