Question

Hi All,

I had a new upflow Bryant evaporator coil installed and due to height limitations some outputs were located on the side of the cabinet. I was just wondering how efficient is this in comparison to regular installation and should I be worried about it. The coil is, by the way, triangular in shape when looked from the front and all the outputs are obviously above the coils. Two big ones (14" and 10") on opposide sides and at the very top and smaller one (8") near the bottom on the same side as 14". Hopefully this explains it well. Thanks for your help.

Ivan

Originally posted by ivanm
    Hi All,

are obviously above the coils. Thanks for your help.

Ivan
    how far above?
    sounds good to me so far

I doubt it was permitted. Code here would red flag that. However, All-Style makes a plenum coil. Its just what it sounds like a plenum & coil built in to one. They have lines on the sides & the front & back & allow you to cut anywhere above the lines. We use those anytime height is a problem. As far as it working right, I'm sure you wont ever have a problem with it.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

maybe i misunderstood.is there good airflow at the vents?

Thanks for quick responses. To answer some of the questions, the bottom of the lowest output is about 7" above the drain pan. I don't know what the air output is yet as the ducting is not complete. Contractor clams that it will be fine but I just wanted an honest second opinion. I could post I picture but don't know what is the easiest way to do it.

Thanks again, Ivan

i would venture to say it depends on the location of the takesoffs vs the a coil is it to the side or the front of the coil

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'm not sure you'll be fine ,I'd want the static tested to be sure the minimum required air flow ,to prevent heat exchanger and compresser failure is met.

While such a setup may not be the prettiest, there is nothing wrong with it that a couple of manual dampers to balance the amount of air to each run wouldn't cure.

I cannot think of one code that this would be breaking. Everything above the drain pan on the downflow side of the coil is fair game for ducting. All a plenum is, is a neat cabinet for the coil. It is still part of the ducting system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq

I cannot think of one code that this would be breaking.
    If we tried that here, we'd have to show the inspector paperwork from the coil showing that it can be used like that. Which obviously it doesnt say that in the papers that come with the coil. I ran into this exact problem with the plenum coil. I had to take the coil up there & show em where the manufacturer lets us cut above the lines. Of course are inspectors can sure be hard asses when you need a break.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Gotcha. The Baltimore/DC area has a few like that as well. Then again, if you did not use the factory coil case but rather installed the coil in ducting right off of the furnace, there would be nothing they could say about it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV