We have a Ultimate FHW Boiler with Tankless DHW, with Beckett AFG Burner .87 GPH . This is a early 1980 system in a 2700SF Cape Style Home in NH with 3 Taco 007-F3 circulators. Our annual oil consumption is approx 1000 Gal. I surmise the efficiency of this system to be in the 70-75% range plus with tankless unit runs frequently to maintain temp.
Current problem is the Beckett Burner is "popping" during operation (firing intermittently during operation but staying runing)diagnosed by tech as having a bad burner tube as it is burned off on one side where the dispersion cone is attached.
We have this cleaned/tuned annually however each year it is something else $200-300 typically for misc repairs.
1. Repair current Beckett burner? Approx. $2-300
2. Replace current burner with new one? Approx $1200
3. Replace System with either a Buderus G215 or Burnham MPO with 30-40 Gal DHW tank system? $4-5000+
1. Factoring the age of the system and maintenance (outside of cleaning/tuneup)of $300 annually what is the best solution this forum would advise?
2. If system replacement which system? Buderus or Burnham?
3. What should we expect the efficiency of a new system versus current system e.g. 85% versus 70% and does this correlate directly to saving 150 gallon of fuel? (15% of 1000 gal)
The tech advises Buderus G215 with Riello burner and 35 Gal DHW tank system. I have also read on the forum here that this is a good package, however the Burnham is also a good option.
I appreciate the advise and recommendation of the forum.