Thread: furnace brand

what is a good brand for a furnace? i was thinking either armstrong or trane.

Senior Tech Guest
    Any brand is fine, it's the quality of the install that counts more than anything.

install is most important and both of those are quality brands.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Installation and proper sizing are absolutes with any new furnace. The furnaces of today are not like the furnaces being taken out. Particular needs of todays furnaces must be met or you can wind up with a disasterous end result.

80% furnaces must be installed into metallic chimeys with provisions made to insure these chimneys will not cool too much during furnace operations. It is very important for 80%, induced draft furnaces to have the flue gases kept warm till they are emitted into the open atmosphere.

Condensing furnaces are simply a different breed altogether. Not only do you have to vent them entirely differently, they are extremely prone to issues when using indoor air for combustion air.

Also, if you are installing a condensing furnace which will orphan a gas water heater to be vented by itself, the water heater flue needs to have a chimney liner installed.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

If its oil, Thermopride.

If its gas, there all the same. sort of.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Like the other replies indicated....The equipment is only as good as the installation. I have seen trane installations that would not work due to bad design and poor installation practaces, and I have seen goodman installations that were excellent. However, I think this is the exception rather than the rule. It seems (to me at least) that inexperienced and/or poor installers tend to by cheap equipment rather than expensive equipment which leads in part to a bad reputation of the manufacturer.

I disagree with the comments that implied that all gas furnaces are the same. Well not totally disagree. I think its true to a large extent for the 80% furnaces... but I disagree with regards to the 90% furnaces. Each manufacturer has their own way of dealing with the condensation drains and some are better than others. For example, Nordyne has a terrible horizontal drain kit that is sure to cause problems whereas other manufacturers such as Rheem and Carrier addressed the issue in a much better way.

I think the real difference in the manufacturer comes from the support that is available. Such as technical data, training, tech support,etc. I am not a goodman dealer but as far as I know...it is difficult to get charging charts, blower perfromance data, etc.

The reason we see price differences between say a Carrier and a Goodman is because Carrier invests alot of money in research and development. Look at all the patents that Carrier has on their equipment, with the Infinity Control being the latest release. How many patents does Goodman have???

In the end however, the installer will always dictate the overall quality of any system

Dave in NJ

Thermopride gas furnaces still made like things were 30 years ago with heavy stainless steel heat exchanger and cabinet metal thicker than some heat exchangers.

Since Goodman has now been attacked by a Carrier proponent, it must be noted that with the "patented" Amana dual sized tubular heat exchanger that is in all Goodman furnaces, Goodman blows away Carrier in the condensing furnace market.

Why does someone always have to make a brand bashing battle out of these threads?

let's not bash.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

williamson still makes a great oil furnace.

Originally posted by joeoilman
    williamson still makes a great oil furnace.
    Is Williamson actually still making furnaces? The last Williamson gas furnace I saw was a Goodman with the Williamson brand label on it.

I have one of the older Williamson oil furnaces in the farmhouse I am renting so I am hoping it is still good

I used to sell Williamson way back when. Still have a few five in ones out there.