Question LB 502 batchfreezer now toast?

Dear HVAC Community, we left our water cooled Carpigiani LB502 batchfreezer -the virtual heart of my business-in our unheated garage over the winter without blowing out the water after our last batch of "happy tummy" last summer. (Yeah, I know-how could one be so stupid) Last week we poured in our first batch of mango ice for the season and turned her on. The machine ran for about 10-15 minutes before I noticed water was going in, but not coming out the "out" hose. I called the distributor/service people for this machine who came and looked at her and said that the water line had frozen and broken into the freon (sp?) line. They said they could replace the condenser and compressor for about $ to $ but would not warranty the work or new parts, and that our Carpigiani was basicly toast as water could have gone up anywhere in the system. To buy a new Carpigiani is financially out of the question. Is our dear "Bella" (that's her name) kaput? "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi-you're my last hope!!!"
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-19-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: prices

No prices allowed, please read site rules, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Water in a refrigeration system is NEVER a good thing.

Even a tiny drop can cause all sorts of trouble like freezing inside of valves and stopping them from operating to making the oil turn acidic due to a chemical reaction.

Removing large volumes of water from the inside of a refrigeration system isn't easy, and ensuring that it is all removed is nearly impossible.

CAN the system be fixed? Yes. It won't be easy, quick OR cheap.

Is it worth the time, expense and hassle to do so? That is up to you.

Red face oops.

sorry about price mention- missed that part in rules. Thank you for gentle reminder. I'll be happy to keep my questions mechanical and chemical.

Question nitrigen and vacuum treatment after water-freon line break

anyway, could I get some comments on technicians' experiences on how often this treatment (post replacement of the condenser and compressor) is a short term vs long term fix for an LB502 batchfreezer with typical damage like this?

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    If this is the machine in question, your service company is wise to make no guarantees on this repair.

To distill it to the essence of the matter, the oil used by that type of refrigerant will absorb a lot of moisture.

Not only does it absorb moisture, but the moisture chemically changes the oil, causing further problems.

It is not possible to remove 100% of the contaminated oil from a system like this.

In short, if you proceed with repairs, you will likely have a problematic machine forever.

Question Carpigiani LB502, 2004 model (single phase)

Thank you for your explanation, however my batchfreezer is the Carpigiani LB502 (2004, single phase). Does your conclusion still apply to this machine?