Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    No problems with that. Money seems to always be one of those hard to come by but easy to go thingees.
    Is the existing one magnetic??
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Gasket notcher

Quote Originally Posted by rayr View Post
    There is a gasket notcher just for that purpose. Believe me you are much better off having the gasket made. United refrigeration can get them for you. I haven't cut my own gaskets for over 20 years and we install about 80 a year.
    Do you have a pic of the nothcher? We install about 50 gaskets a week and I have never found one of these hand notchers. We use a thermal welding jig to weld the corners. The nother would come in handy for the foam gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by rayr View Post
    Is the existing one magnetic??
    Yes, it is magnetic.

I went ahead and pieced it today. I wound up not doing it in the corners because of the way it was torn. I did seal it with silicone. I went back and checked it with my ultrasonic and am picking up a little leakage, but I may have had it turned up too high because I picked up leakage on the freezer door too this time. The other day it was just at the sheet metal seams on the cabinet.

I haven't been home since installing it due to service calls, but the refrigerator isn't running right now, and has been off for about 35 minutes, so that is a good sign.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Quote Originally Posted by Express Gaskets View Post
    Do you have a pic of the nothcher? We install about 50 gaskets a week and I have never found one of these hand notchers. We use a thermal welding jig to weld the corners. The nother would come in handy for the foam gaskets
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Watsco-Gn...-/160587916060
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    X2

Unless it is the gasket material that comes on a roll, I'm not fooling with it.

That stuff, I drag out the pneumatic stapler, tack it in place, cut with snips and finish by screwing the plates back in place
    yes this is a really old post. but i pull my hair out when its time to replace gaskets but hey im getting better at it. adjusting the door to accomodate new gasket. i use a heat gun to heat up the gasket so it will help take shape of door with door frame allow it to cool in that shape. looking for tips and pointers to it if you don't mind. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    yes this is a really old post. but i pull my hair out when its time to replace gaskets but hey im getting better at it. adjusting the door to accomodate new gasket. i use a heat gun to heat up the gasket so it will help take shape of door with door frame allow it to cool in that shape. looking for tips and pointers to it if you don't mind. thanks
    old thread is right lol ..... either soak it in hot water or if there is a dishwasher on site send it through a fast cycle .. that will loosen it right up for easy installation

I don't like a heat gun for softening gaskets.

Tends to cause localized distortion if you let it get a little too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Is that like the shoemaker's kids going barefoot and the tailor's kids wearing rags?
    Or the HVAC tech who still ain't gotta around to putting a filter in?
    (In my defense, it is a Rheem coil, and in a closet with easy access, cleaning it takes 15 minutes top)
    Carpenter with a leaking roof
    plumber with a plugged toilet
    etc.

Bought a gasket notcher way back in the 80s. Got it at Johnstone. Don't think they carry em any more, but will check the box and post a name and part #.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12