Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Do you think Carrier Model 38YSP030 2.5 ton, 15.5 SEER Puron Heat Pump and Carrier Model FX4BNF030 2.5 ton, 10 FW Puron Fan Coil will cool and heat a 15-year-old, 1400 sq ft house in AR enough? The temps can dip down below zero in the winter time and be anywhere from 90-100+ with heat indices up to 110 in the summer.

We had no choice when the house was built 1.5 ton heat pump which definitely didn't cool or heat correctly.

My concerns are:

1. Is this a good model?

2. Will it be enough to heat and cool the whole house.

3. If Carrier quits making the model, how hard will it be to find replacement parts, or will they stop making them?

Go ahead and make it a 38YDB-036 .. if I were looking at ur house for changeout that's what I would have bid.. 2 stage condenser with variable speed AHU and Infinity controller

Originally posted by no idea
    Do you think Carrier Model 38YSP030 2.5 ton, 15.5 SEER Puron Heat Pump and Carrier Model FX4BNF030 2.5 ton, 10 FW Puron Fan Coil will cool and heat a 15-year-old, 1400 sq ft house in AR enough? The temps can dip down below zero in the winter time and be anywhere from 90-100+ with heat indices up to 110 in the summer.

We had no choice when the house was built 1.5 ton heat pump which definitely didn't cool or heat correctly.

My concerns are:

1. Is this a good model?

2. Will it be enough to heat and cool the whole house.

3. If Carrier quits making the model, how hard will it be to find replacement parts, or will they stop making them?

Yeah, Carrier is okay stuff, but it is like comparing Chevrolet to Ford, you'll get lots of opinions. Basically, I'd check out the contractor and base my decision more on the contractor than the brand name, but yeah it is a good model. Secondly, we can not answer that question without doing a heat load/loss calculation on your home. Your contractor should have performed this task, so ask him and ask to see it and have him explain it to you. I doubt Carrier will stop supplying parts for that model during its life expectancy. Carrier has been around for a long time.

later,
    Bobby

Looking from my window at your house, it looks like it might be big enough.

Click on the red tab at the top, and you can do you own load calc to see what size you need.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd look at getting the FE air handler,variable speed,instead of the FX model,it's worth the difference,for YOUR indoor comfort.

Thank you for your replies.

I know everyone has their preferences. I live in a small town and only have two contractors to deal with. We do not want to deal with someone out of town again.

davenet and dash, can you please explain your reason for your choices? I know you've never been in my house, but I honestly would like to know.

I don't know if this will help or not. In the winter, the rooms are cold, and in the summer, they are hot. We know we will have to have the duct work redone.

We will also being getting a quote on an American Standard from the other contractor.

I read a couple of old posts. One listed the ratings of Consumer Reports Heat Pumps and another one said not to pay much attention to them. It listed American Standard as first with Carrier being further down the list. Can't remember where.

Because of what my husband and I have been through in the past 15 years, we don't want to go through it again. i know a problem may come up, but just about every month? We want to make sure our money is well spent and will get what we pay for - cool and warm in all eight rooms.

the FE air handler will be variable speed, givibg you humidity control with the Infinity Controller. When you start controlling humidity in your house you'll be amazed at the comfort difference. Using the 2 stage condenser allows for more "even" cooling and heating. I am in central Texas so I can't speak with as much knowledge about the heating benefits, but here, 2 stage cooling with variable speed ahu and humidity control tstat makes a world of difference on comfort and energy costs.

davenet, Thank you. Is there a big price difference? I know giving prices isn't allowed on here, but can you say small, medium, or big? Defintely am interested in saving energy costs. We are tired of $200+ electric bills, when friends have bigger houses and lower electric bills. It gets humid here too.

should not be that much price difference between the first model condenser u posted and a 38YDB, but I dont have my pricing in front of me. the FE AHU is a little more than the FX but well withinh reason. The Infinity controller makes the system, so ask for it.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Davenet covered the reasons for the FE and Infinity well.

I'd be concerned about the uneven temps between rooms,and what they will be doing to correct this.It could be a supply air or return air problem,have they indicated what they found and plan to do?

I asked about an Infinity. He suggested 38YDB for the heat pump. For the fan coil, I didn't the model number. Sorry. It doesn't come in 1/2 tons. With a 2 ton, it would be undersized, and a 3 ton, it would be oversized. Plus, there is a space issue due to the water heater also being in the same closet. The 3 ton fan coil would be too high. He's going to do a load calculation to make sure. The water heater can't be moved because of the way the house was plumbed. We asked about it. If I didn't ask about the right thing, I'm sorry. This is all confusing to me.

As for the hot and cold rooms, it could be because of the lousy duct work. We told him about it, but I can't remember what he said. I'll ask again. A few years ago, we added another room. Because of the new duct work for that room, it's the coldest during the summer and warmest during the winter in the house. When adding new grilles to the rooms, can the opening be cut from the attic, or does it have to be from the room itself?

Something that bothers me that I read in the brochures. With the Weathermaker 2 speed, it operates at about 20-25% of the time while the scroll compressor operates at full capacity for uneven temps. Since the scroll compressor is single speed, I'm concerned that our electric bill isn't going to be any lower. Or am I totally misunderstanding the scroll compressor?

On a web site, I found a system sizing chart. I didn't bookmark the web site, and I can't find it. It says for air conditioning in Zone 2 for a 2.5 ton the sq ft should be between 1251-1550 sq ft. For heating, the BTUs should be between 35-40 per sq ft. Do you find that usually to be true, or does it depend on the system?

After reading the Infinity brochures, I like this system better. Because of the size issue, it's probably a no go.

[Edited by no idea on 09-27-2005 at 12:28 AM]

First you need then to run a Manual J to determine the size needed,if it's 2.5 ton the 3 ton two speed is the correct size'as it will run at 1.5 tons most of the time,so no oversizing issues.

They do ned to look at the ducts,Manual D ,will be needed,the addition sounds like a known problem ,they should check it all.

You can use the Infinity air handler and Control with a single speed if needed,for space or price issues.

The YDD 3 ton matches with the FE,002,003 and 005 air handlers,they need to look at all since space is an issue.

The water heater could be changed to tankless,I would think,is it gas or electric?

Carrier/Manual J results

I have the results. According to it, building 1.28 Tons, 1.29 Recommended Tons, 1,204 ft. 2/Ton, 36.24 MBH Heating. We now have 1.4 tons, and it doesn't heat or cool properly.

Building Loss is 36,242 Btuh and Building Gain is 15,365 Btuh.

Cooling Net Required is Cooling Tons 1.28, Sensible/Latent Split 75%/25%, Sensible Btuh 11,573, and Latent Btuh 3,792, Total Btuh 15,365.

For the 2 ton, it would be 38YD024 and FE4ANF002.

Is there a web site that explains the results as in the different gains, loss, and CFMs?

Would adding more registers in each room and making them bigger help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast