This sux. It's Saturday. My rotation to work. It's Phoenix. It's still OVER 100 degrees by 3PM. ANd we're doing HEAT PUMP HEATING MAINTENANCES!!!!

I just sweated my ass off (and the poor customer's inside) as it's already 95 degrees by 11:30AM and I'm doing a P.M. on a Heat Pump!

So far this week, I have NOT got off work before 6:30 PM at the EARLIEST. And this is my 6th day. ANd I'm on rotation for Sunday as well. 50% of the calls I do are P.M.'s! The only reason I'm not doing 90% like most techs is that I am one of the few who do commercial service calls for freezers and no A/C still.

How many of you, and where, are doing HEAT maintenances already?

I've had a few call that had their air out & wanted us to go ahead & check the heat while we are there. They like throwing it in thinking it wont cost anything, but we dont do any heatchecks at all before October. We're telling them this too. We'll fix their air but we're not throwing in the heat pm's. Only exception is we'll do a heat inspection for realtors that are selling a house.

ps- I checked out your website Payson. I like those home movies you have on there. Specially the one of your truck in the mud. LOL
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

So, how are you testing the defrost cycle?

Originally posted by PaysonHVAC

I started them a few weeks ago here in Pennsylvania
    still trying to hold off on getting into them real heavy

The War Dept and I spent the night at camp and we had the pellet stove going to take the edge off.

Originally posted by dhvac
    Originally posted by PaysonHVAC

I started them a few weeks ago here in Pennsylvania
    still trying to hold off on getting into them real heavy
    Same also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The company I work for in Pa. has had us doing them for a couple of weeks now. Walk in, turn the A/C off, cook 'em out for awhile with the heat, and then turn the A/C back on and leave.

I turned the heat on in a home while doing a PM, and this old woman came storming out of her bedroom in a nightgown, screaming at her barely alive husband who was sitting there with all sorts of oxygen tubes and stuff coming out of him, for turning the heat on. I had to get a hold of her before she smacked him.... it was sort of funny though.

I took a job almost two years ago to work for a transportion refrigeration company,(we also work on detroit engines and allison transmissions)after two 3/4 load semesters at local community college so I could get into HVAC/R. I got thrown into the reefer work with very little OJT/training. I seem to feel like I'm almost always a step behind where I want to be but I wouldn't trade my predicament for yours on any given day, Payson-you must really like what you do!!!
    Da Threadkilla

Well, I like it on occasion. There's always jobs I would like a whole lot less.
    I kind of FELL into the field on accident. So here I am.

Originally posted by gibrenob
    The company I work for in Pa. has had us doing them for a couple of weeks now. Walk in, turn the A/C off, cook 'em out for awhile with the heat, and then turn the A/C back on and leave.

Exactly! I just got done doing a PM on a OLD Payne furnace. HAs Home Warranty. So you know that 40 yr old thing ainto going no where.

Turned off A/C. Cooked em. Turned A/C back on.

Originally posted by swampfox
    So, how are you testing the defrost cycle?
    It's not easy. If it aint to 100+ yet, I can throw the thick drop cloth over the coil. It CAN still get below 10 degrees on occasion. But still hard to trip a 25 degree temp switch when the amb air around it it 90+.
    I've had to give up on a few. Just jumper the defrost sensor at the board and test the board similating the defrost switch closing them opening.

Originally posted by hvac hero
    ps- I checked out your website Payson. I like those home movies you have on there. Specially the one of your truck in the mud. LOL

That one seems to be a favorite. Not sure why. It's hard to tell, but I spray them guys with mud. That's why you hear one say "..what a *****!"

I love using the website to store my pics, videos, stories.
    I can share the stuff, plus I ALWAYS have a family/friends photo album with me no matter where I go as long as there is internet