Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm worth my weight in heating oil on a -40 degree night during the worst blizzard in 50 years.

Doglips,

Unlike alot of trades, in H.V.A.C. equipment changes from month to month, not year to year. Furthering your education
    in the field is an understatement. In this field you either "sink or swim." You need the drive and motivation to
    keep pressing forward to stay with the new technology. There are alot of fields related to the refrigeration trade,
    i.e., air balancing, refrigeration, air conditioning, pneumatics, d.d.c., and the list goes on and on. Every day
    you need to prove your worth to your employer and continually educate yourself on new equipment in the work place. Never think you have reached the point where you know enough in the trade and can "skate" from here on.

bmbradley

Originally posted by dhvac
    Ok here is what I was getting at
    First if you are an employee you are only worth what it would cost to get someone to do the same job, with the same amount of perfection in the same time frame

As an owner you are worth what the market will bare.

They can always find a hack to do it cheaper.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

"I" am worth nothing.

Let's start putting some parameters on this conversation and then we can talk.

Originally posted by Nevada

Don't base yourself on what others do. Although people here are literally trying to keep up with the Jones.
    lets see. you charge them $10 and when they see you not worth that you offer the first service free. whats next, you give them money to let you come out then tear something up.

The Penguin is worth more than his employer is willing to pay as The Penguin can do so much more than the employer understands he can do. Thus the employer under pays The penguin, as a result The penguin finds another employer willing to pay the same and consider paying more once the Penguin proves that he can do more. After a period of time the new employer realises that the Penguin is worth his salt and being a smart(hopefully) employer he does increase the Penguins salary to ensure the Penguin remains employed and does not have a wandering eye for the bigger better deal The employer also ensures the Penguin is happy in his new job by buying the service truck of his choice and allowing him the flexability to manage himself in his daily activities producing greater returns on investments than the employer anticipated resulting in a great employee employer relationship that lasts a very long time.
    Thats what I'm worth!

Fantasy? no reality? I am going to do my darn best to ensure this is reality for me
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

What am I worth? I don't really know. Depends on what you are expecting out of me I sopose.

How about a list of things that I think I'm pretty good at...

Auto repair.
    Refrigeration repair.
    Air conditioning repair.
    Carpentry.
    Finish carpentry/Cabinet maker.
    Stair builder.
    Automotive refinishing.
    Engine rebuilding.
    Inventive solutions to problems.
    I do things the right way.
    Lawn care.
    Give time freely to friends in need.
    I'm a better reader of books and magazines that I am at
    watching the television. At least I read a whole lot
    more than I watch.
    Handwriting is ledgible.

The bottom line is that I'm very mechanically inclined and it makes no difference because someone else is always the determining factor on what any person get for a salary. I'm just arrogent enough to admit to being the best at what ever I do, that and a $1.80 will get me a cup of coffee.

...Ron

I hope someone does ruin this by flamming.

I actually get nothing for any work I go out to do after hours. The kids got together and decided that my after hours work is cutting into their "Daddy time", but they are willing to let me go for a price. They decided that everything I make after hours (on their time) goes into their Xmas fund. Where are these little con artists learning these tricks?

Originally posted by doglips
    a minimum of two hooters girls to hand me my tools while I work on any system...
    Hooters my happiest place on earth as my brother says... lol.

I'm only worth what it would cost to replace me and the tasks I perform. That's all we are all worth
    ( as employees)

This number is 110,000 net pay and a total cost to my employer of 177,000 a year. If they could get the same or better performance for the price I would be worried, but so far they can't or haven't. Now don't let the numbers scare you, cause my worth is calculated on how much walks when I walk, my pay will seem miniscule at that point. So I am also worth what I generate on top of what I get paid as an employee. So its pretty high because I manage solid profittable accounts and I sell several 20K to 500K retros a year. So actually I could probably get a little more if I pushed the issue, but I would rather leave a little on the table and give them the break. I am doing better than I ever thought I would as an employee in this industry.And I am grateful for the opprptunity to do it.

Originally posted by jacob perkins

In short what are you worth and why?
    Dice says he's worth $1.49
    I would like to know why he thinks so highly of himself
    Excuse me but I am up to $1.59.......

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Originally posted by jacob perkins

In short what are you worth and why?
    Dice says he's worth $1.49
    I would like to know why he thinks so highly of himself
    Excuse me but I am up to $1.59.......

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you.

I have to dissagree with you Dice.
    Your worth has absoulty nothing to do with what your employer is willing to pay you if he had his way he would pay china wages, the only reason you get paid more is because of min wage laws and the law of supply and demand a good employer has to pay a certain rate to retain employees and without employees he will not succeed himself. So the employer figures out what the min he has to pay in order to have a stable profitable employee and max his own profits and so it goes to keep his good employees from being enticed to alternative employment an employer (good) will find ways of keeping his top employees not only through higher wages but also through benifits etc
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

You are worth what two employers are willing to pay you not just the one you work for, but if another is willing to pay the same then you are worth what you are making.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12