Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How much are you worth and why?

I have heard lots of people looking for jobs and complaining about the ones they got

So its simple , its not about what you make or what you want to make BUT INSTEAD what are you worth
    And not just in the $ amount are you worth a van to take home, or a desk at the office

I have a theory but want to hear some of yours before I say what I think

I'm worth $85 per hr. $127.50 per hr after 5 pm & on weekends.

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    I'm worth $85 per hr. $127.50 per hr after 5 pm & on weekends.

why ?

Cuz, that's what his wittle book told him!

I don't have any wittle book, this is an average scale Co.'s in my area charge per hr. I don't want to be a "cutthroat".
    I am a small 2 man operation, but when it comes time to grow, and I decide to get a shop or store front,(which I doubt I will) my prices will stay about the same. No suprise to the customer on charges.
    Why am I worth it? Well auto mechanics make around $95-$115 I have to keep up with them when it comes time to make any repairs.

Don't base yourself on what others do. Although people here are literally trying to keep up with the Jones.

Not necessarily basing on what others do, just keeping things equal. Besides I'm very comfortable living in a brand new 2000sq ft. home, own a nice 26' cabin cruiser, truck, car, 57' widescreen TV with surround sound , Brand new work truck, etc....LIFE IS GOOD!!

When I finish school...since I will of course know way more than any of you old timers that started in this industry when the only refrigerant was ICE....I thinking I should get AT LEAST 4 times what the senior tech is getting paid...company car and van....a minimum of two hooters girls to hand me my tools while I work on any system... and at least one time a day all the old timers should be gathered around me so that I can "try" to teach them the correct way to do things.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Originally posted by doglips
    When I finish school...since I will of course know way more than any of you old timers that started in this industry when the only refrigerant was ICE....I thinking I should get AT LEAST 4 times what the senior tech is getting paid...company car and van....a minimum of two hooters girls to hand me my tools while I work on any system... and at least one time a day all the old timers should be gathered around me so that I can "try" to teach them the correct way to do things.
    I know that is a joke but the sad thing is some people really think along those same lines

Wink

Doglips,

The sad part of all of this is most schools will tell
    you "don't work for anything less that $25.00", when all
    along most students leaving school are worth $15.00 per
    hour at the most. Ask them to set a low pressure control,
    or explain "cut-in, cut-out" and most are stumped. I'm not
    saying this is in all cases, but it all goes back to the
    saying "You have to pay your dues."

bmbradley

Ok here is what I was getting at
    First if you are an employee you are only worth what it would cost to get someone to do the same job, with the same amount of perfection in the same time frame

in other words if you boss can find someone to do just as good of a job as you do for $4 less an hour, then you are overpaid !!!

What if its 15 less an hour, well anyway not that that’s how it actually works but if you think you are worth 30 an hour and you never bother to learn on your own then you probably are not

As an owner you are worth what the market will bare less your expenses you may be under priced but for the most part if you are overpriced then you won’t have work
    At least in the long run

Now the reason I wanted to know was because people complain that the jobs don’t pay enough and that may very well be true in lots of areas but those of you complaining, what have you done to separate yourselves from the crowd?

Why should I hire you and not the guy that will work for $5 less an hour

In short what are you worth and why?

Originally posted by dhvac

In short what are you worth and why?
    Dice says he's worth $1.49
    I would like to know why he thinks so highly of himself

bmbradley and dhvac Its like anything else...book knowledge and real world knowledge are not always the same....an Instructor may have 200 years of experience....but he can not give 200 years of experience to a student...the student still has Zero years of experience...but now has a clue about how to do something.. The instructor at my school is pretty straight forward about employment after school..when you leave this school grass Hooper you will be a low paid gopher

I can live with $15 an hour to start...but I still get the hooters girls right?
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast