Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

It appears my compressor burned out. What do I need to make sure gets done?

I'd like to not bore you guys with a ton of backstory so I'll try to give an abridged version of what happened to our AC unit and hope for some advice.

Its a Goodman unit, maybe a 4 ton. I thought I had the model number written down but apparently its the air handler (AR48-1, which is a 4 ton). Anyway

4 weeks ago, cap fails. Couldn't find a place to sell me one on sunday so had to call a tech. Replaces cap, starts right up. Says low side pressure is too low (can't remember pressure but according to his gauge and R22 he said the coil temp inside was 30 deg). I asked if he should fill it, and he said he couldn't because the high side pressure was 230 and climbing (it was a hot day). I asked what we should do to fix it, and his answer was "new unit".

Fast forward to a few days ago. Unit ices over in the middle of the night (85f at night). Thawed it out, changed the filter, blew out the drain line, and started it up, and it worked okay. A day later the compressor tripped the breaker. Did a bunch of tests myself, came to the conclusion that the compressor was grounding through the case (23 ohms from main line to ground).

So, I know I need a new compressor, however, a lot of what I read says that you need to find out WHY the compressor blew. On the surface it appears it was running low on charge (icing over) but I guess I'm confused on why the high side was too high to fill. Is there any test or procedure I should make sure the AC tech that replaces the compressor does to make sure that other parts in the system aren't damaged? Anything I should make sure gets replaced at the same time? Or is standard procedure to just replace the unit, clear the line, vac, and fill?

The compressor MAY be under warranty, I'm trying to find out. If not, I suppose I'll probably replace the whole condenser unit as that seems to be the common suggestion when this happens.

Anything else I can offer as information? I greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

you need to find a more competent Tech.
    He should have taken a lot of other reading besides what his gauges where telling him....temperatures, air flow, supper heat, Sub-cool and on and on.

Find a better tech and you will be running correctly in no time.

You need to replace your system. Period.
    WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by hooraah View Post
    So, I know I need a new compressor, however, a lot of what I read says that you need to find out WHY the compressor blew.
    You will never know that, short of sending it off to a lab, or replacing it and firing the new one up to determine if there is an existing issue that killed it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    You need to replace your system. Period.
    I agree! and that is normally what I suggest after a grounded compressor, especially if the system is an older system, but with no serial numbers we don't know.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Any Goodman w/a model number of AR48 is at least 15yrs old.
    WHY?

If the first tech only took pressure readings he didn't do a very good job, maybe find a better company and ask if they perform superheat/subcooling readings and check delta t across coil, etc. But if they do those things it's a good start. Be careful with all the do it yourself stuff, sometimes it leads to more repairs than you started with. I would say they should have checked for a restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    maybe find a better company and ask if they perform superheat/subcooling readings and check delta t across coil, etc.
    His compressor is grounded.

If it's 15 yrs old and the comp is grounded, I agree it's time for a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    His compressor is grounded.
    It's grounded according to the home owner who performed the test himself, I was under the impression we weren't encouraging or supporting DIY work on this site.

It's grounded according to the home owner who performed the test himself, I was under the impression we weren't encouraging or supporting DIY work on this site.
    He performed this test "before" he asked any questions here, we have no control over that, and about anyone that knows how to use an ohm meter could perform this easy test. We have only made suggestions to were he should go now.

Alright, then pretend that a tech came out and tested it and decided that the compressor is grounding through the case

I understand that you don't support DIY work and don't encourage it. I may not be a licensed HVAC tech, however, I am a mechanical engineer, and understand enough about circuits. I won't ask for instructions on how to repair items. All I'm doing is gathering data so I can make informed decisions.

Really? The tech wrote down the number on the repair order, but knowing how great the tech was I suppose even that is suspect. When I get home I'll go and write down the number of the condenser unit.

I could have sworn the model of the condenser was written on the warranty paperwork we got when we purchased the home, but it looks like it just says "Goodman limited warranty" Odd.

I have the SN and model of the compressor if that helps. Is a Copeland CR42K6-PFV-230.

Also, the house was built in 2002.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast