Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Was I wrong?

Thursday got a call from a National middle man in charge of getting repairs done for Firestone/Bridgestone tire stores. My history as a customer with places like this is that they are not very bright.

Went to the store. 2 minutes away. Young kid for manager. I could tell he was talking to a girl and it was not business. Stood there at counter as he continued to talk . Tire tech comes up and he puts the girl on hold. He talks to the tech then goes back to the phone while I am still standing there. Then I speak up and say "excuse me.....I am here about the A/C " he said with the phone to his ear that it was fixed. I left and called Texas and told the girl that called me. She apologized, said she had no idea who went there first and told me to fax her a bill.

Next day she called back and asked me to go back because if was not fixed. I went back right after lunch. The punk was off the phone this time and making excuses. His assistant was shaking his head all the time he was talking. I go to the roof after having to move tires because I will not set up a extension later with out a brace of some kind and the tires were next to a shed. The roof was high and I figured the tires would be a good landing pad if something happened. Went up and compressor was very hot. That is where I stop. I wont diagnose anything until a compressor comes off of a thermal overload. I pull the breaker. I tell the manager this when I come back down. Then the dumb ass tells me the other tech said it needed a fan motor and he needed to order one. Not wanting to wait then he followed company policy and called the company in Texas that called me. I told him I would be back that afternoon or in the morning which is today.

I go back and my ladder is moved and the tires put back. I moved them again and set the ladder back up. Went on the roof and the indoor fan motor was running and compressor red hot again. I put the lid on, get my bag, load the ladder and pulled around front. I asked them who went on the roof and one of the managers said he did. I told him that I explained that I wanted the unit to cool yesterday and to leave it off and now it is hot again. Then I told him I was done and would not be back.

Could you have installed a lockout device on the breaker? Possibly locked the disconnect on the rooftop unit? Since the manager at the place you were doesn't cut the check, I'd go back after the compressor cooled off. Make the repair and bill the parent company. Explain to them why the bill shows three trips to make repairs. Also give them the name of the manager that turned the unit on. As the owner of your company, you can't afford to give your time away. Explain this to the parent company also. Make the repairs. Money is money.

The disconnect was a breaker at the unit on the roof. He had to go up my ladder to get there and turn it back on. I have them billed for 2 service calls which they agreed to. It's Saturday. My tolerance for **** like this is low. The company in Texas is a first time customer and this looks like a one time thing anyway. I feel at some point you have to write some customers off. When I was walking off I heard one of the tire techs tell the guy "See there! I told you not to do it, I hope you melt"

I'm not sure I would have lasted as long as you did.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Was the condenser fan running?
    I dunno, tough call, too many middle men, too many *******s involved, probably better off to be done with them, hope ya get paid.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

The fan wasn't running. But as a policy I won't do anything untill I see the compressor run. I have changed my last condenser motor just to find out the compressor is dead.

Ya should a told him
    " Nice going dickhead ya killed it now you need a new one, I'll let the main office know and give them a price on a new unit".

my tolerance for that kind of **** is even less

A ziplock baggie full of ice set on top of the compressor will reset it in minutes.....much faster than a water hose.

I don't think it was right of you to make them wait that long for a diagnosis.

Leaving ladders up is risky. What if a kid decided to have some fun up your ladder and they find him the next day with only feet sticking of a tire stack?

I would be willing to bet it was a dual run cap bad and you missed it because you weren't carrying a UEI DL-250.....hehehe.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Bad cond motor, run a hose on the comp, it will come on but I know what ya mean about waiting to see the whole story.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Thank you two morons for you last two post. I didn't know that.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    I don't think it was right of you to make them wait that long for a diagnosis.

Leaving ladders up is risky. What if a kid decided to have some fun up your ladder and they find him the next day with only feet sticking of a tire stack?
    I would have looked for a way to cool the compressor just to save the extra trip. I do understand not wanting to change parts till you know a little more about the compressor.

The ladder thing is risky, not only for liability. But, if you would have taken it, he probably had no way to get on the roof!

wire nut the red t-stat on the roof. go back later,double bill 2 trips.

Well you're probably upset about the goofy bastard on the phone, but that would have given me an opportunity to cash in. I would have waited until tests could be made and charged them for my time, then would have explained to the owner the situation, could have turned into a replacement.
    Sounds to me like you make a lot more money than I do
    At least you're getting paid for the trip charge....I hope.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast