Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeh

I was saying he sounds as if he has Bipolar disorder. Bipolar and Manic depressive are one and the same.

He is probably Not a paranoid schizophrenic unless he is dillusional and it doesn't sound that he is.

If he is just obstinate, argumentative, nasty, and sometimes funny and extremely intelligent and interesting and creative.

BINGO

I'd have him checked he is more than likley Bi-polar, Or Manic Depressive.

And as much as I dislike the Psyco peeps.

They have Nailed this disorder and it is treatable

He is your Brother and if the tables were turned you would want him to help you.

This disease is EASILY treated.

Get your family to help.
    Back when my brother went thru his highs and lows he was considered crazy, by most.

Bipolar disorder is just a chemical imbalance.

GET HIM HELP HE IS YOUR BROTHER FOR GOD'S SAKE

I'm trying to rid my guilt by staying on topic

Topic Overview

If you are concerned that your child or teen may have bipolar disorder, see the topic Bipolar Disorder in Childhood and Adolescence.

What is bipolar disorder?

Bipolar disorder (also called manic-depressive disorder) is an illness that causes extreme mood changes that alternate between manic episodes of abnormally high energy and the extreme lows of depression.

Bipolar disorder may cause behavior so severe that you may not be able to function at work, in family or social situations, or in relationships with others. Some people with bipolar disorder become suicidal.

What causes bipolar disorder?

The cause of bipolar disorder is not completely understood, but the disorder runs in families and may also be affected by your living environment or family situation. An imbalance of chemicals in the brain is another possible cause.

What are the symptoms?

During a manic episode, you may be abnormally happy, energetic, or irritable for a week or more. You may spend a lot of money, get involved in dangerous activities, and sleep very little. After a manic episode, you may return to normal, but your mood may swing in the opposite direction to feelings of sadness, depression, and hopelessness. When you are depressed, you may have trouble concentrating, remembering, and making decisions; have changes in your eating and sleeping habits; and lose interest in things you once enjoyed.

The mood changes of bipolar disorder can be mild or extreme. They may develop gradually over several days or weeks, or come on suddenly within minutes or hours. The manic or depressive episodes may only last a few hours or for several months.

How is bipolar disorder diagnosed?

Because it has many phases and symptoms, bipolar disorder is complex and hard to diagnose. There are no lab tests for bipolar disorder; instead your doctor or therapist will ask detailed questions about what kind of symptoms you have and how long they last. In order to be diagnosed as bipolar, you must have had a manic episode lasting at least a week (less if your had to be hospitalized). During this time, you must have had three or more specific symptoms of mania, such as needing less sleep, being more talkative, behaving wildly or irresponsibly in activities that could have serious outcomes, or feeling as if your thoughts are racing.

Your urine and blood may be tested to rule out other problems that could be causing your symptoms.

How is it treated?

Bipolar disorder is mainly treated with medications to manage manic episodes and periods of depression. Your doctor may try several medications before finding the right combination to manage your symptoms long-term. Medications include mood stabilizers and antipsychotics. Antidepressants are used carefully for episodes of depression, because they cause some people to cycle into a manic phase.

Counseling for you and your and family is also an important treatment for bipolar disorder.

People with extreme cases of mania may be hospitalized to protect them from risky behaviors, such as driving recklessly or having delusions. During a severe bout of depression, hospitalization may be necessary to prevent the person from committing suicide.

Who is affected by bipolar disorder?

Over 3 million Americans—about 1% of the population—suffer from bipolar disorder, with similar rates existing in other countries. 1 Bipolar disorder occurs equally among males and females. It often begins between the ages of 15 and 24

Schizophrenics hear voices. I think the bi-polar rate is a lot higher than 1%

yeh; I hear ya

I mean I concur

I think you're right bi-polar is probably much higher than 1% more like 3 to 5%, but then I probably know more about the subject then the Psyco, I mean the Psychologist that lives next door to me.

I got that 1% from yahoo

[Edited by pjs on 09-24-2005 at 07:23 PM]

My X was bipolar. The sex part is fun!

Originally posted by James 3528
    My X was bipolar. The sex part is fun!
    Yeah especially when she was in the euphoric state huh

Oh God, yes. Leaving bars and restaurants at night was fun.

im not even going to bother reading that
    you used homeless and brother in the same sentence

Coolwhip, you explained my oldest brother to a tee. It took many years of him screwing everyone over till we figured he had a mental problem. Once he got diagnosed (manic depressive) and received the care needed he was able to lead a normal life. The hard part was convincing him he had the problem, not only him but us too. We all thought he was lazy and just wanted to fight everyone.
    He went on meds and lead a good life until a few years ago when he passed from something completely different. The good thing about us getting him help was we knew where he was and when he passed on he was able to get a proper burial.

No DIYS hey all you armchair brain bangers out there.

but seriously there are alot of people out there that need help but will not take it
    coolwip good luck
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

If he's not going to accept any mental help, then just buy him a new tent, sleeping bag and coat and send him on his way.

Crazy or not he's still your brother, like it or not.

Most of those psychotic diseases only occur in this country..
    Why is that??
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

The road is long
    With many a winding turn
    That leads us to who knows where
    Who knows when
    But I'm strong