Bryant vs Armstrong

Hybrid View

I need some help here. I am looking at 2 different furnace/A/C sytems right now - a Armstrong Ulta V 95% AFUE furnace with 13 seer A/C and the Bryant Evolution 94% AFUE furnace with 16.4 seer, 2-speed A/C. I have found 2 reputable dealers that I'm willing to give either my business. Warranty is the same with both. The only different is the price. Although, I am willing to spend a little more for better quality and comfort, is the differences between these 2 units really worth it?

Please answer if you can?
    Which unit:
    1.) Has had fewer problems (more reliable)?
    2.) Will maintain tempature and comfort better?
    3.) Has the best quality and will ultiately last longer?

Also, I live in WI - is the extra SEER rating (16.4) 2-stage really cost effective seeing as we only use A/C during the summer months.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions. I enjoy this forum. Thanks!

In WI, probably won't have any economic payback with 13 SEER with short summers and low electric rates.

I'd rather have Armstrong than Bryant (for reliability reasons) but right now, I'd pass on the 95v. Low fire is only 80% of high fire, hardly is noticable. That will change in the future. On the Bryant it is 70% so a bit more of a benefit running on low fire. Also the Evolution control will do much more for you.

Now if you want real heating comfort for those cold Wisconsin winters, there's the infamous MODULATOR!

Please tell me more about the Modulator!

As Robo said in your other thread, it's a furnace that runs a lot! Basically instead of 1 or 2 outputs, the furnace "modulates" and varies the output from 40% to 100%. Usually once you hit about freezing in a cold climate, the thing never shuts off, it just keeps varying the fire to maintain perfect temp inside. The variable speed blower really varies to maintain a hot discharge where some 2 stage units can be fairly cool on low fire. This one stays around 65 degrees warmer than return air. All this does require the special stat but if you compare to a premium 2 stage like the Vision Pro, it isn't that much more bucks.

In your car, do you have a toggle switch to turn the heat on & off as you get warm & cool? Of course not. So why have one at home. As the car warms up, you or your automatic climate control throttles back the heat until it runs steady to maintain the temp you are comfortable with. So dowes the Mod. Why not be as comfortable at home as in your car?

I've lived through a couple of Wisconsin winters. Perfect place for it!

http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=RGFD

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I also live in WI and have an Armstrong 95V recommended by two HVACs, is it a consensus that I pass on this furnace?

Howabout the Armstrong a.c units, ok?