Water Furnace has strange service valves

I was working on a 6-ton Water Furnace geothermal unit the other day, & diagnosed the compressor as open, so we are going to replace this part next week. The question I have is that this unit has a couple of really strange gauge ports on the high and low pressure lines. These valves are deeper than the usual Schraders, and don't open (or even move) if you try to press the top. No Schrader tool I have will work these valves. I won't be able to put my gauges on them. Is there a special tool required to work on these? I need to know before we change out the compressor next week. Thanks.

Water Furnace has strange service valves

Water Furnace's have standard service ports.

Are you sure it's not the PT port? Or the port on the desuperheater?

A picture would help us give better advice.
    Last edited by Brent Ridley; 03-05-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Older Waterfurnace models DO NOT have standard core valves. (EO models that I know of)
    They require a special tool to remove and replace. If you look at the fitting you will see a hex at the base. If the system has no pressure I think you could use a deep well socket to remove them.

Bergy

Quote Originally Posted by Bergy View Post
    Older Waterfurnace models DO NOT have standard core valves. (EO models that I know of)
    They require a special tool to remove and replace. If you look at the fitting you will see a hex at the base. If the system has no pressure I think you could use a deep well socket to remove them.

Bergy
    Interesting to know. Thanks Bergy. Learn something new everyday.

Haven't ran into any of these or has it been mentioned in any of the WF classes/training I've been to.

I would love to see a picture of these ports.

You should still be able to use your hoses on them but to remove them you actually have to unscrew the whole stub