Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    is this usually a one man job or multiple?

Mostly one man from a technician level. Installs vary.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Best job in the world......
    Most satisfying job i have ever had. remember this, you will only get what you put in.
    With the right attitude about this field you will be able to overcome anything that life throws your way, but if you are lazy, arrogant, not mechanically inclined, or prefer to 'hang out' vs working this field will hurt you.
    Ask yourself this, "What do i want out of work?"
    If you want time off to hang out with your friends, family, look elsewhere.......

BUT if you like working, challenges, this could be for you. A good friend runs his own show, just him and his nephew, hes never stressed out, and has the ability to take a summer off to go RVing, again this job is what you make of it....
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Its more of a career than a job. Takes dedication and flexibility, but for anyone with a passion for quality, honest work, you will always be in demand somewhere. And the money will follow.

This trade requires you to be a plumber, electrician, carpenter, roofer or any combination of those at times, and you still better know a great deal about refrigeration.

Usually, you're the savior, a white knight with a pair of gauges. Sometimes not so much.

Always try to make the customer feel like they're getting their moneys worth.

Its an art when done properly and there's a certain pride in leaving a new installation, or even repairs, that your work will be in place for decades in some cases. You get to put your own personal signature on everything you touch.

You WILL say horrendous things to inanimate machines on the daily.

You'll bleed fairly regularly, especially if you're in a rush.

When its hot out, you're even hotter, and when its cold, you're damn near freezing.

Your diet will probably go to hell. Unless you're good about packing healthy lunches and snacks every day.
    This about sums it up; Only thing is until you get your feet wet it is bloody murder. Then as your knowledge progresses this industry becomes the best lover you could ever have. As long as you strive to get better every day it will provide a great means in which to work.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
    hello everyone, i'm considering to become a hvac technician, i need to know the advantages and disadvantages in this field, please list all you can think of base on your expriences. Thank You
    I would definitely recommend this field. I would even be OK with it if one of my sons wanted to enter the trade, even though you always want something better for your kids. But this all depends on a few factors:

1. What are your natural talents? Are you a very mechanical person? To do well in this trade, you must have some kind of natural mechanical/electrical talent. I see tons of guys who are not talented in this field and they just "get by". It makes your job more enjoyable and easier if you have some natural talent.

2. Physical location. Where do you live? I am in South Florida, I am good at what I do, I will always have a job, even in this tough economy.

3. Where do you want to go to learn the trade? You could go to a trade school, or you could join the Union and go through an apprenticeship. I went through the union and did a 5 year apprenticeship. The union school down here in FL is one of the best in the nation. It was very tough, and it made me the best service tech I could be. After school, you will always be learning too.

Those are the biggest factors you need to consider. As far as day to day life goes, it varies a lot.

I started out doing residential/light commercial service and installations including duct work, pool heaters, heat pumps, electric heat strips, straight cool split and package systems, and even window units. I had to run 6-8 service calls a day some days, and other times there were jobs that lasted 5 days. Starting in my second year of apprenticeship I was on-call. Service calls usually came in on the weekend and after normal hours but not too late at night. This was the best way to learn the trade.

In my 4th year of apprenticeship I got the opportunity to go to work at Carrier and I got my first exposure to chillers. This was the big leagues and when I was on-call I could get calls at all hours of the night and early morning. Hospitals, power plants, movie theaters need service right away. This is how I learned chillers. Sink or swim!

5 years later I got invited to go to work at Trane. Been there ever since. The quality of life improved dramatically. I am only on-call twice a year, and I can usually get out of it because someone is always looking for OT. I work an 8 hour day and get my 40 hours. There is OT if I want it, but I'd rather be home with my twin boys.

I have great health care, a strong pension, and I work for probably the best HVAC company on the planet. So I guess the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by mr kev View Post
    This whole trade is like a woman. Most of the time it is fun and you enjoy what you do. It requires a lot of maintenance and every day you will come across different issues. Even when you think you have seen it all something will surprise you out of left field. And then there are certain weeks out of the year that we know are going to be so miserable that all you want to do is drive off of a cliff. But just like we do with our women we just put our head down and forge ahead. This trade is in control of your life and decides on what kind of day you are going to have before you can even decide for yourself. But we all learn to love it for what it is!! Well she is calling so I have to go!
    can i get an AMEN

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    addition to those listed above.

neg
    - Can be very hard on a new relationship (girlfriend or newlyweds)
    pos
    - you will become a kick ass cook.
    Very Very true!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mizzouhvac View Post
    This is a 24/7/365 field. Nights, weekends, holidays, we have to do em all. Some techs call this a job, I call it my career. The biggest disadvantage I have found through my years is I always know what time I am leaving for work, but never what time I am getting off work. Luckily my wife is very understanding to the hours of my work, if you have a lady or kids that are not this can be a tough field for you.
    Ever since I started this trade, I cant seem to keep a woman around, and I dont even know my kids anymore. Seriously!!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    Ever since I started this trade, I cant seem to keep a woman around, and I dont even know my kids anymore. Seriously!!
    You're doing it wrong! My family life has never been better.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    maybe u need to show her your big pipe wrench lol
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

I live in tampa fl. I am ready to educate myself in the HVAC industry. I am a hard, smart and driven worker, I am very mechanically inclined and can fix about anythin I put my mind to, with 3 yrs experiance plumbing and 15 yrs experiance being a rental maintenance tech. I am very intrested in HVAC

How should I get started?

Tech schools here charge about $30,000 for a degree that will get me a entry possition.

Doesnt anyone hire someone for there drive and basic skills as an apprenticship. Anyways I dont know about anyone else but I learn mostly from doing and doing and doing over and over, not from some professor teaching me basics from a classroom that in all reality, I will have to relearn in the field from a SVC. Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by THNKABTHVAC View Post
    I live in tampa fl. I am ready to educate myself in the HVAC industry. I am a hard, smart and driven worker, I am very mechanically inclined and can fix about anythin I put my mind to, with 3 yrs experiance plumbing and 15 yrs experiance being a rental maintenance tech. I am very intrested in HVAC

How should I get started?

Tech schools here charge about $30,000 for a degree that will get me a entry possition.

Doesnt anyone hire someone for there drive and basic skills as an apprenticship. Anyways I dont know about anyone else but I learn mostly from doing and doing and doing over and over, not from some professor teaching me basics from a classroom that in all reality, I will have to relearn in the field from a SVC. Tech.
    Your experience means very little, your attitude and commitment could mean quite a bit.

A good HVAC professional needs both classroom theory and field experience. Like many other professions that once only required only a high school diploma but now want a college degree, the technical knowledge required has grown. You can in fact find a company to hire and train you but they will often want a younger guy to start out as a gofer. You will have to stress that you will work hard for low pay for quite some time before they will pay you more.

Some companies do both plumbing and HVAC, but that depends on the State laws. I would look at that option closely. Try to work for the company that produces the best quality work that you can given your options. You can't learn what you need from hacks, only what not to do.

You might want to stick around here and ask for advice as to who might be better to work for. Some tips can be provided in training assistance.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

sorry!! learning the sight

I reposted a new thread in the correct category. THks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast