Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    You can go from hero to a** hole in the time it takes to write the ticket out.
    That's funny right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Beercanman View Post
    That's funny right there.
    Funny but true.

Negative-

People will think you talk to yourself, when you are actually talking to the equipment

Positive

People will think you are talking to the equipment when you are actually talking to yourself.

Seriously- in this profession you will never get bored, or if you do it means that you aren't paying attention. The troubleshooting opportunities are endless. The same goes for design scenarios.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

what are the everyday physical works that involved in this field?
    oh and someone earlier mentioned working 15hrs in the heat/cold for 4 straight day, holyy coww!! that is some cruesome stuff, does that happen often?

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
    oh and someone earlier mentioned working 15hrs in the heat/cold for 4 straight day, holyy coww!! that is some cruesome stuff, does that happen often?
    Some days you carry boxes of filters to the roof and some days it might be a 200 pound compressor with help to the roof. It just depends. The long days in a row are during peak times so when it's really cold or really hot. I live in WA state so we don't have too many of those but if you lived somewhere with extremes it would probably be more often. I work for a company with a huge residential base so they pull everyone in to help when we are swamped with calls.

oh thats only when you work for someone When you go in business for yourself ........... its 15 hours days in a row A WHOLE LOT MORE

The interesting is the variety of places you work. From the cockroach invested shack where you where a hooded coat so when the fall of the ceiling on you they don't go down your collar, to people who won the lottery, and fell in love with marble and cherry, to the little gated estate for a Duchess from South Africa. All true stories.

Speaking of on call...

I got a call at 11pm last night and got back in at 4am this morning (5 hours). It's now almost 6am and I'm still not sleepy due to the caffeine (diet coke from the fountain at a gas station) and some random energy drink I had.

I'll probably wind up sleeping until 2-4 in the afternoon and feeling jet-lagged for the rest of today.

It comes with the job.

lunch
    - most days you have none and just shove random food into your mouth
    - other days you have time to go to the local dinner and have a sit down meal.

This whole trade is like a woman. Most of the time it is fun and you enjoy what you do. It requires a lot of maintenance and every day you will come across different issues. Even when you think you have seen it all something will surprise you out of left field. And then there are certain weeks out of the year that we know are going to be so miserable that all you want to do is drive off of a cliff. But just like we do with our women we just put our head down and forge ahead. This trade is in control of your life and decides on what kind of day you are going to have before you can even decide for yourself. But we all learn to love it for what it is!! Well she is calling so I have to go!
    Only Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door

During your busy season, depending on if it's heating time or cooling time you will have to forgo taking the time to vacation with the normal folks cuz you can't afford to miss out on the work.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

You can fix your own A/C and heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

hello everyone, i'm considering to become a hvac technician, i need to know the advantages and disadvantages in this field, please list all you can think of base on your expriences. Thank You
    What do you do for a living presently? What is it that you are looking for in a profession? Like anything you do, you only get out what you put in. The only thing I will say at this point is I look forward to going out to work every day, I never worry about when quitting time is because I always have more that I want to get done than I have hours to do it.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeck1000 View Post
    I'm guessing you own your own company then? the company I work for has OT but our normal customers pay straight time
    I am in business with a partner.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast