Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 54
  1. #1

    what its like being a hvac technician

    hello everyone, i'm considering to become a hvac technician, i need to know the advantages and disadvantages in this field, please list all you can think of base on your expriences. Thank You

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    SouthEast NC ICW & Piedmont Foothills
    Posts
    7,635
    1-you don't have to pay someone else to fix your A/C

    2-you get to meet some of the most grateful people

    3-you get to meet some of the biggest p**********

    4-you'll be warm in the winter & cool in the summer
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,026
    +
    Fairly easy to get a job.
    Fairly easy start your own business.
    You will learn lots and lots and lots of stuff.
    Some degree of independence, even as an employee.
    Pay is a little better than most trades.

    -
    Long hours, on-call too.
    Physically demanding.
    Rather stressful, mentally.
    Little opportunity for advancement within majority of companies.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    1-you don't have to pay someone else to fix your A/C

    2-you get to meet some of the most grateful people

    3-you get to meet some of the biggest p**********

    4-you'll be warm in the winter & cool in the summer
    I agree with the first 3, but....
    If you are working a lot you will be.....
    4-cold in the winter & warm in the summer.......
    Never give up; Never surrender!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound area, Wa
    Posts
    130
    Positives

    -very good pay
    -it's very gratifying work
    -independence style of work(this can also be a neg if you don't like working alone)
    -very easy to find a job and if you are a good technician you can pave your own way
    -working outside when it's nice which to me is 50-75 degrees and not raining

    negatives

    -being on call( but it comes with the territory)
    -very mentally stressful when it's extreme temps and you're on your 15th hour of work for the third or 4th straight day(the ot helps at the end of the week, well for me anyway)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    addition to those listed above.

    neg
    - Can be very hard on a new relationship (girlfriend or newlyweds)
    pos
    - you will become a kick ass cook.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,879
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    addition to those listed above.

    neg
    - Can be very hard on a new relationship (girlfriend or newlyweds)
    pos
    - you will become a kick ass cook.
    Absolutely.......

    Your family eats without you because of the person that "It hasn't been working since wednesday........
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

    Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound area, Wa
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Absolutely.......

    Your family eats without you because of the person that "It hasn't been working since wednesday........
    and it's Friday night at 7 pm and they just now decided to call LOL!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbeck1000 View Post
    and it's Friday night at 7 pm and they just now decided to call LOL!
    And they will call someone else or be uncomfortable until Monday.
    Unlike many folks, I refuse to charge extra for after hour services.
    But with my refusal to charge extra comes a scary condition, I decide what constitutes an emergency, not the customer.
    Elderly, infants, sick folks, pregnant and product which will spoil.
    That is emergency by my book, and I will fix them at the standard rate, no matter what time it is.
    Otherwise, you can wait, or call someone else.
    Makes me no difference.

    Funny thing is, that the vast majority of my customers understand and appreciate the practice. They like the fact that if it is a true emergency, I will show up and fix the issue for no extra charge.

    It might be a marketing ploy, or laziness or WTFE.
    But it makes my nights easier and causes customers to stay customers, since I demonstrate a willingness to help them when needed, at no extra charge.
    And I don't have to explain to the current WTFE, that I have to get out of bed, get dressed and drive across town in the middle of our special time.
    And if I do, it is a genuine need to do so.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound area, Wa
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    And they will call someone else or be uncomfortable until Monday.
    Unlike many folks, I refuse to charge extra for after hour services.
    But with my refusal to charge extra comes a scary condition, I decide what constitutes an emergency, not the customer.
    Elderly, infants, sick folks, pregnant and product which will spoil.
    That is emergency by my book, and I will fix them at the standard rate, no matter what time it is.
    Otherwise, you can wait, or call someone else.
    Makes me no difference.

    Funny thing is, that the vast majority of my customers understand and appreciate the practice. They like the fact that if it is a true emergency, I will show up and fix the issue for no extra charge.

    It might be a marketing ploy, or laziness or WTFE.
    But it makes my nights easier and causes customers to stay customers, since I demonstrate a willingness to help them when needed, at no extra charge.
    And I don't have to explain to the current WTFE, that I have to get out of bed, get dressed and drive across town in the middle of our special time.
    And if I do, it is a genuine need to do so.
    I'm guessing you own your own company then? the company I work for has OT but our normal customers pay straight time

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South central WI
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    I agree with the first 3, but....
    If you are working a lot you will be.....
    4-cold in the winter & warm in the summer.......
    You will freeze in the winter and find new ways to warm your self with open flames...

    You will sun burn in the summer and sweat in places you didn't know possible

    You will get asked by everyone you know on a personal level to fix their hvac cheap or nearly free.

    You will spend a small fortune on tools even if they are provided at work to fix said personal acquaintances hvac.

    You will work when every one else is in bed sleeping.

    You will adapt a keen sense of "smile and nod" if some one is too hot or cold when you have checked and rechecked to find the equipment is running properly.

    I could go on and on and it's only starting my third full year of work...
    The more I learn the smarter I work.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,367
    You can go from hero to a** hole in the time it takes to write the ticket out.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    203
    being on-call and late night/early morning emergency calls are a big negative. positive hmmmmmmmmm, allways in differant places not locked up in a office.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event