Leak check
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leak check

Leak check

Hey guys just a general question about leak checking. So far i've read that the best leak checking method is a standing pressure check with nitrogen and a "hotshot" of r-22. Question is when doing this which access port should be used to charge this into the system and should the same access port be used to check the pressure? I know it should be charged to the systems operating pressure as stated on the manufacturers nameplate. However since the pressure is diff throughout the system would this be the liquid saturation pressure, and do all systems have access ports on the liquid line in order to check this? I know it's a lot to ask but i'm trying to piece all this great knowledge together so any response is greatly appreciated. -thanks

I think you need to do a little more schooling on this subject before you try this on your own. There are book on basic refrigeration which would be a benefit to you. Search the web bookstores, or local libraries....
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Well I never said i'm trying this on my own. I'm actually attending school for hvac right now. My current professor is not being very helpful so I was hoping that someone on here might clarify this a little bit more. People don't seem to answer questions on this site as much as they try to tell you what to do. So thanks for the response but no thanks. Anyone else?

Jack, read the rules of the site and get your post count up, then apply for pro membership. You will get plenty of answers to your questions and have access to a wealth of information.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Cool whip, yeah I'm trying to do that. Every little bit helps.

Jack, I always use the high side access port, just make sure to take a little time for the pressure to equalize on the suction side line before you record the initial pressure reading, 5 to 10 mins. in most cases. I only use straight dry nitrogen thought for testing, due to the fact that R-22/410A pressure will change with any temperature change.

Quote Originally Posted by crazeehorse View Post
    Jack, I always use the high side access port, just make sure to take a little time for the pressure to equalize on the suction side line before you record the initial pressure reading, 5 to 10 mins. in most cases. I only use straight dry nitrogen thought for testing, due to the fact that R-22/410A pressure will change with any temperature change.
    He's talking about finding a leak, not doing a pressure test.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack8080 View Post
    Hey guys just a general question about leak checking. So far i've read that the best leak checking method is a standing pressure check with nitrogen and a "hotshot" of r-22

I don't know if I would call it the best, but that is one way you can do it if using a electronic leak detector..

Question is when doing this which access port should be used to charge this into the system and should the same access port be used to check the pressure?

Too many variables to easily answer.
    It depends on what your working on and how it is set up.

I know it should be charged to the systems operating pressure as stated on the manufacturers nameplate

This is a test pressure, not a operating pressure. Big difference..

However since the pressure is diff throughout the system would this be the liquid saturation pressure, and do all systems have access ports on the liquid line in order to check this?

Most small reach in's and window a/c's don't have access ports from the factory-you have to add them. And the system should be off at this time. I know it's a lot to ask but i'm trying to piece all this great knowledge together so any response is greatly appreciated. -thanks
    Your teachers in school should be teaching this and answering your questions on this.

As said before, get your post count up and become a pro member.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    He's talking about finding a leak, not doing a pressure test.
    That is how I find leaks, by pressure testing.

Show up early and stay late. Your teacher will answer your questions.

I would like you to think about the following:
    What size is the leak? Are you checking before or after a repair is done?
    What are you using to detect the leak? eg; Big Blu, electronic "sniffer", ultrasonic detector, etc. What is this oil stain doing here? What does an electric "sniffer" sniff?

Don't ever assume anything. And don't overlook the obvious.

Generally the "standing pressure test" is proformed with only dry nitrogen. If pressures remain constant according to ambient after several hours, the system has no leaks. So under what conditions would you add a shot of R-22?
    What testing equipment is required to do this?

Show up early and stay late. Your teacher will answer your questions.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

That is how I find leaks, by pressure testing.
    So, in a multi evap system, you have a micron leak SOMEWHERE.

You put nitro in. You got a leak. Now what?

Where's the leak? Which evap coil? flare nut? condenser coil? somewhere in the maze of condesner piping? somewhere in the lineset?

I think your thinking of nitro after work is completed.

We're talking about walking on a no-cool doing service.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    So, in a multi evap system, you have a micron leak SOMEWHERE.

You put nitro in. You got a leak. Now what?

Where's the leak? Which evap coil? flare nut? condenser coil? somewhere in the maze of condesner piping? somewhere in the lineset?

I think your thinking of nitro after work is completed.

We're talking about walking on a no-cool doing service.
    What we're talking about, is referring to the original question about leak testing by using nitrogen for pressure testing to find a leak. If you would like to discuss other methods, start another thread & I will be glad discuss these methods with you.

What we're talking about, is referring to the original question about leak testing by using nitrogen for pressure testing to find a leak. If you would like to discuss other methods, start another thread & I will be glad discuss these methods with you.
    The original question is: "when doing this which access port should be used to charge this into the system and should the same access port be used to check the pressure?"

That sounds like a DIY question to me.

One says tomato while the other says Tomδto.

Can't we all get along?

To this site and our differences!
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast