Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short cuts

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I disagree.

A good tech with experience with certain units might be able to 'guess' what is wrong with it, but a good tech will also TEST and VERIFY what is wrong with it.

Even if he does put the required part in his pocket before leaving the truck.
    Humor, it is sly at times.
    But on this particular model/brand it's the relay, especially if the customer calls and says, it is hot, and the fan is blowing continuously and won't shut off.

The engineer(s) put a 24dc relay in the worst possible spot for water to get into the unit after a hard rain.
    I kept four or five of the zettler relays on my van for this particular problem.

Thanks for the honest input.

I have been studying alot and have earned several of the NATE certs., but I haven't found good mentors I could work under. I thought this guy with the "great" trick might have been one, oh well. And the first company I worked for gave me a wrong perception of the industry, or perhaps a taste of the wrong side of it. I am in a good company now and I think i have found a home here. thanks for everybodys input and advice and the sarcasm too, it almost feels familial. looking forward to all the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaugrefer View Post
    I have been studying alot and have earned several of the NATE certs., but I haven't found good mentors I could work under. I thought this guy with the "great" trick might have been one, oh well. And the first company I worked for gave me a wrong perception of the industry, or perhaps a taste of the wrong side of it. I am in a good company now and I think i have found a home here. thanks for everybodys input and advice and the sarcasm too, it almost feels familial. looking forward to all the conversation.
    JD, many, many of us start out the same way you have. I did. I don't have the time to detail it all here but let's just say that vacuum pumps weren't standard equipment. To understand the kind of havoc this causes just read in the resi and general forums for long enough, you will get it and want to do a better job. People pay real money, they deserve real results, but often all they get are headaches because companies often don't train the tech in fundamentals of the trade, but in fundamentals of sales. Much of what you need to know is here.

PS- I have run my own shop for 7 years and I do the best job I can for the customer every day. Some of them realize and others don't, but I know it.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123