Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    safety inspection and tune-up for a residential gas furnace

    I plan to hire a technician to have a safety inspection and tune-up for my residential gas furnace.

    Do you know:
    1. how they charge, for example, separately charge for diagnostic and repair?
    2. how can I know the technician is certified to do this job?
    3. after finishing, will they give me a document about how to inspect and tune-up?
    Thank you very much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by ra533yahoo View Post
    I plan to hire a technician to have a safety inspection and tune-up for my residential gas furnace.

    Do you know:
    1. how they charge, for example, separately charge for diagnostic and repair?
    2. how can I know the technician is certified to do this job?
    3. after finishing, will they give me a document about how to inspect and tune-up?
    Thank you very much!
    Most companies now have a flat rate to get to the home and look things over.

    Then, if anything needs to be done, it's a flat rate for that. It's up to you if you want it done or not.

    But beware, some people will try to sell you a furnace saying yours is about ready to go or some such thing.

    They should give you a service ticket with the model, serial number, what they did and the date of the service for your files.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    40
    Everyone feel free to add to this list. But I give the following when I do an inspection:
    AC
    - Sub and Super cooling and WHAT is the manufacturers recommendation
    - High & Low PSI
    - indoor return temp & hum
    - outdoor temp & hum (these 3 numbers ensure the tech calculated #1)
    - CFM
    - that those damn service value caps have the rubber seal <grrr>
    - temp post evaporator
    - condenser size & coil size
    - check 24v lines for twist caps
    - check outside supply line for foam (puppies love it)

    Heating
    - visual condition of heat exchanger
    - test flame sensor
    - test ignition
    - if you have electric verify all the coils are not broken

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonj View Post
    Everyone feel free to add to this list. But I give the following when I do an inspection:
    AC
    - Sub and Super cooling and WHAT is the manufacturers recommendation
    - High & Low PSI
    - indoor return temp & hum
    - outdoor temp & hum (these 3 numbers ensure the tech calculated #1)
    - CFM
    - that those damn service value caps have the rubber seal <grrr>
    - temp post evaporator
    - condenser size & coil size
    - check 24v lines for twist caps
    - check outside supply line for foam (puppies love it)

    Heating
    - visual condition of heat exchanger
    - test flame sensor
    - test ignition
    - if you have electric verify all the coils are not broken
    Cooling: I also check Capacitor visually and with meter, contacts, electrical connections, compressor inrush and amp draw, air filter

    Heating: Temp rise, air filter

  5. #5
    Thank you for answering my questions very much, all of you are very kind and professional.

    In order to find such professional technician as you, may I ask:

    shall I ask the service company to show me the technician's certificate? if so, what is the name of that certificate?
    or,
    shall I ask the service company to show me their company's license related with furnace tune-up? if so, what is the name of that license?

    Thank you for help very much!!

  6. #6
    I always check amp draw on blower motor, condenser fan and compressor. I get voltage readings at them. Check voltage drop across contactor. Just a little that I like to check while I'm there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Portland.OR
    Posts
    313

    tec ticket

    many states don't have technician licenses !!
    The company will, but EVERY Tech will have a freon certificate from the EPA
    if they work with freon..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,175

    Confused this thread smells funny-

    This is sounding more and more like a lawyer fishing...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE OHIO
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by ra533yahoo View Post
    Thank you for answering my questions very much, all of you are very kind and professional.

    In order to find such professional technician as you, may I ask:

    shall I ask the service company to show me the technician's certificate? if so, what is the name of that certificate?
    or,
    shall I ask the service company to show me their company's license related with furnace tune-up? if so, what is the name of that license?

    Thank you for help very much!!
    NATE is the most common, also ICE both give certs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event