Help...what should I do??

Hello everyone. I own a brick 2 story home built in the 1930's. Our second floor is horribly hot in the summer and cold in the winter. there are three vents up there, and one return. However, one of the vents appears to be completely blocked by a piece of wood, almost like whoever did the system forgot to cut a hole and finish the job. the return vent is located in the same room as this blocked vent. the rest of the house stays comfortable except for our bedroom, which is on the main floor. In that room, I have a vent and a return. You can hardly feel any air flow at all from that vent. I'm a lady who doesn't know much about this stuff. Can anyone give me advice in layman's terms. I like to have some ideas before I would call someone. I don't want to get taken advantage of. thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by jziegler View Post
    Hello everyone. I own a brick 2 story home built in the 1930's. Our second floor is horribly hot in the summer and cold in the winter. there are three vents up there, and one return. However, one of the vents appears to be completely blocked by a piece of wood, almost like whoever did the system forgot to cut a hole and finish the job. the return vent is located in the same room as this blocked vent. the rest of the house stays comfortable except for our bedroom, which is on the main floor. In that room, I have a vent and a return. You can hardly feel any air flow at all from that vent. I'm a lady who doesn't know much about this stuff. Can anyone give me advice in layman's terms. I like to have some ideas before I would call someone. I don't want to get taken advantage of. thanks so much!
    Only three vents to the second floor makes it hard to cool regardless of balancing the airflow or the possibility of zoning.

As far as the airflow or lack there of in your bedroom, the supply damper could be closed in the basement.

It's hard to diagnosis without looking. Hopefully you have a good HVAC guy you can trust in town to help you.

And a "good HVAC guy" might be a member here and work in your area. But you failed to disclose that. Fill out your profiles people!