Frown Some vacuum pump questions...

I have a JB 3 cfm pump about a year old. While I was on vacation another tech used my truck while his was in the shop and did a compressor changeout. He pulled system down with my pump WITH NO OIL INSIDE!!!!!!! I usually don't leave the oil in my pump when I change oil I just leave it empty and fill it the next time I use it. He apparently didn't look at the oil level.

I just got a Bluevac micron gauge and tried it out. Pump pulled down to around 150 microns.

Should it be able to pull lower than that? I am going to dig out my old Yellow Jacket pump just to see what it will do.

Do you guys rebuild your own pumps if needed?

How did he 'pull a system down' with no oil in the pump???

Depending on which J/B 3 cfm pump you have you should be able to get to rated micron levels; check the specs.

J/B has full rebuild kits for all of their pumps, it's not that hard really, under two hours; maybe not for the first time tho, but still not difficult.

Sounds like to me the 'other tech' owes you a new pump!

You really should keep new oil in the pump between use though. If you drain the oil after your vacuum, while it is warm, it is easier to change; and the new oil will help protect the mating surfaces of your pump from oxidation. The oil is a protectant... and the next time you need her she has new oil and is ready to go!

I would get a new pump from the 'tech'; give him the one he ruined and let HIM rebuild it. He might learn something as well. And then check your other tools; who knows what else he might have screwed up.

If what your testing it on is sealed right you should get less than 150 microns, depends on how long it's on. I absolutely hate guys who use other peoples tools, I own all of my own tools and only two other guys are allowed to use anything. I've seen guys use snips on flex duct wire and ruin them, use drills as hammers and break the case or selector switch. I wish more guys bought their own tools maybe then they wouldn't treat everything like sh*t!

a 3cfm pump? to get to 150 microns did u leave it on over night anything below 500 ive heard is good

Its a J/B DV 85 I think.

How did he 'pull a system down' with no oil in the pump???
    I don't know if he used a micron gauge or not......

Sounds like to me the 'other tech' owes you a new pump!
    I agree with that! How to make it happen though is the problem.

I just don't like it when they tip over and spill oil so when I dump the oil I just leave it empty til the next time I need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrpsimivalley View Post
    a 3cfm pump? to get to 150 microns did u leave it on over night anything below 500 ive heard is good
    I was just pulling on the micron gauge, no refer system.

I just looked up the specs:
    The Eliminator 3 CFM is rated to 25 microns
    the Platinum 3 CFM is rated to 15 microns

You will be hard pressed to get it there with most vacuum gauges; but your BluVac will show it. Use clean oil as well; J/B and Nu-calgon are both rated well below this vapor pressure.

I benchmark all my pumps when new, with the minimum being 50 microns and the max being the rated microns of the pump. When I can't hit the 50 micron benchmark, I do a full tear-down and clean, this usually gets it done; but if not, she gets a rebuild.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get to 50 microns; 10 at the outside.

I do this for every pump in my fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Its a J/B DV 85 I think.
    That's the Platinum model: 15 microns.

Quote Originally Posted by River_Rat View Post
    I just looked up the specs:
    The Eliminator 3 CFM is rated to 25 microns
    the Platinum 3 CFM is rated to 15 microns

You will be hard pressed to get it there with most vacuum gauges; but your BluVac will show it. Use clean oil as well; J/B and Nu-calgon are both rated well below this vapor pressure.

I benchmark all my pumps when new, with the minimum being 50 microns and the max being the rated microns of the pump. When I can't hit the 50 micron benchmark, I do a full tear-down and clean, this usually gets it done; but if not, she gets a rebuild.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get to 50 microns; 10 at the outside.

I do this for every pump in my fleet.
    Thanks.

It took about 5 minutes to reach 150. One pulldown on a clean system on that oil. I will drain and refill and try again.

I have the j/b dv 85 as well, very solid pump. It also runs about $400! So hopefully it doesn't give you any problems.