Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Boss

Just looking for some input. We have all worked for some good and not so good people. I guess good and not so good is not the best way to describe them. My case is how do you deal with someone who is not diplomatic when it comes to dealing with his employees. Things are being handled by the people in charge of their depts. but he still flies off the handle and thinks by showing his temper things will be resolved better. Yelling and screaming sure doesn't get anything else done better or faster. We all come to work wondering whats next. Once he is jacked up it really affects your daily outlook and attitude. Any thoughts?
    He is someone you can call a friend but we need to talk to him somehow.

Have you tried busting him in the nose? I mean right on the end of the beak.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Tell him to have a cup of coffee and a marlboro and try and relax. If that doesnt work then kick him right in the pants.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Have everyone respond in kind. If you all scream and holler when he does, he may see the stupidity of his ways. If not, you at least got the hance to vent.

Lightbulb

He is someone you can call a friend but we need to talk to him somehow. ----------------------------------------

find another job and quit!....FRIENDS DONT TREAT EACH OTHER THAT WAY

Just let him know. In writing if it's easier

I'm not going to listen to you yell anymore. No one should have to put up with that kind of negative treatment. Ever. You start yelling, I'm going to walk out the door and go to my job. Keep doing it and I'm not coming back when I walk out.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I guess when I was younger I used to be that way. As long as he is not personally abusive. Like calling people names or singling them out infront of others. It is no reason to quit.

I get upset and start barking orders when I see the ship sinking. You got to remember that the boss is the captain. He is suppose to see the hold picture. If he see something you don't and doesn't alert you and the ship sinks---what is he going to say. "Well I saw that coming."

If you are driving your car down the road at 65 mph and suddenly someone yanks the wheel out of your hands. What is your initial reaction--- "What the f#%K are you doing!!!!"
    Well some times it is the same when you are driving a company.

Let me guess, you got a "seagull manager". You know the type. They fly in unexpected, flap their wings and make a lot of noise, crap on you and then they leave.

For real there's a book named "Dealing with People you can't Stand". It has the techniques of how to deal with the different difficult personality types that we run into. The techniques work. Having to deal with A-hole managers and clients is a reality. So rather than getting mad or your feelings hurt, if you learn the techniques that put those people in their place, life in general is more enjoyable.

I think the book describes 8 types of difficult people.

The Tank (your boss)
    The sniper (the sarcastic remark type with a smile on face)
    The hand grenade (everything is fine one moment and kaboom)
    THe know it all - (interrupts you and tries to explain)
    The think they know it all (see above but knows nothing)
    The Yes person (says yes to everyone and does nothing)
    The No person (Says no to all new ideas and everyone)
    The I dont know (non committall, cant make a deciscion etc)

Then it tells you how to deal with these types so that their negative behavior ceases around you.

Management

He is practicing management (or lack of it) by intimidation. Most people have to work and he knows it. I have no solution for you other than leave the A.H. and tell him why.

Why tell him why?

Just leave (as soon as you have another job).
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

I disagree with the posts that say leave now. Learn how to deal with these types of people. You're always going to have to work or live with hot headed people. So learn how to change their behavior when they interact with you. If it doesn't work then you leave.

I'd just tell him.

I'm frickin tired of you yellin for no reason. Either quit or I will.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

mrfrio
    Professional Member

I disagree with the posts that say leave now. Learn how to deal with these types of people. You're always going to have to work or live with hot headed people. So learn how to change their behavior when they interact with you. If it doesn't work then you leave. --------------------------------------------

You're always going to have to work or live with hot headed people.

No you are not going to have to work or live with hot headed people unless you allow them to abuse you like that. Their behavior CANNOT be changed . They are not interested in changing it and in most cases they feel that what they are doing is normal acceptable behavior

People that act that way do so to make themselves feel good about themselves.

There is no reason for an employer/boss to treat anyone that way, they would not tolerate it from their employees

I work for someone right now that is exactly as described. He is my supervisor , and someone that I had worked with for 10 years at one time and someone I remembered to be a friend back then

The first time he yelled at me , it was in front of our entire shop and it was about something stupid that he THOUGHT I did....(broke a gearbox to a fan)...the gearbox had in fact frozen due to lack of lubrication...

and he didnt quit untill I felt like a piece of S$$t, and actually felt like I did something wrong

but by then , it was to late .The embarrassment had already been done The entire shop was not around to see the truth, and even after looking at it himself he wouldnt admit I had nothing to do with it breaking.

He has done this many times since , and I have yelled back, written him private e-mails that he ended up sharing with everyone else, Ive tried talking to him --and he thinks he can do no wrong

I just found another job today and because of the total disrespect he has shown me , I am about to leave without telling him anything , give him no notice, just take my things and leave.

At this point he wouldnt give me a good reference anyway and I didnt need it with the new company

I am not the only one he has done this to . I heard him let one of the women have it one day for handing him the wrong size drill when he wanted a 1/2" bit

its to bad that you are not allowed to do as much psyical damage to them as they do emotional damage to you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast