Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DiNiro films bumming me out

I'm hoping that the last two movies I've watched where Robert DiNiro is the main character are not a trend for this great actor. "Stone" and "Everybody's Fine" are two of the most depressing movies I've seen in a long time.

Both films have great acting, but they are both about regular crappy things about regular lives. Hell, I don't need to watch a movie for that! I watch movies to escape from what these two movies were about.

A saving grace and hope that DiNiro is not only going to do depressing is "Machete". DeNiro had a smaller part in "Machete", but he wasn't just a regular guy with a crappy life and the movie was much more entertaining.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

DeNiro has always played tough-guy larger than life characters. As he gets older, some may not feel like he's valid in those kinds of roles anymore. He can be really witty and sarcastic-funny, so I wish we would see more Meet The Parents & Analyze This kind of roles.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    DeNiro has always played tough-guy larger than life characters. As he gets older, some may not feel like he's valid in those kinds of roles anymore. He can be really witty and sarcastic-funny, so I wish we would see more Meet The Parents & Analyze This kind of roles.
    I love DiNiro's roles in comedies. I don't think it has anything to do with DiNiro only being offered these roles. DiNiro can still pretty much demand any role he wants. I have a feeling that DiNiro himself is looking for these real life roles. Don't get me wrong, his acting in those two movies is superb. That's actually part of the problem, he really does a good job at bumming me out by playing the everyday man in real life situations. Hell, I've got enough of that for myself.

In "Stone", another of my favorite actors plays DiNiro's antagonist. Edward Norton is a fantastic actor. So fantastic that when he plays a disturbing role, he disturbs me too much. In "Stone", Edward Norton's portrayal of a prisoner who called himself Stone was way too close to how my son behaved before he was diagnosed as being severe bi-polar along with a few other brain disorders. Norton's portrayal just made me remember the frustrations of trying to communicate with my son.

I won't give up on DiNiro yet, but I will be better checking out new movies he is in.

I remember the day's at Hirshhorn Museum while I should have been doing and viewing Taxi Driver http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314/ and the rest of the art there?

Good choice on their part IMO as that was theater art work, gotta love the guy for this movie alone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    I remember the day's at Hirshhorn Museum while I should have been doing and viewing Taxi Driver http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314/ and the rest of the art there?

Good choice on their part IMO as that was theater art work, gotta love the guy for this movie alone
    So many people do not fully appreciate Taxi Driver because they just don't pay attention to the ending. It amazes me how many people will not read things that are shown in a film. If you don't read the news articles and the written notes at the end of Taxi driver, you completely miss the rationale for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So many people do not fully appreciate Taxi Driver because they just don't pay attention to the ending. It amazes me how many people will not read things that are shown in a film. If you don't read the news articles and the written notes at the end of Taxi driver, you completely miss the rationale for the movie.
    It seem to fit right in at the Hirshhorn Museum as they have some of the craziest art work that is strangely appealing to me

Taxi Driver would be a top five movie movie to me, very interesting and well done for the time period in the mid 70's......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    It seem to fit right in at the Hirshhorn Museum as they have some of the craziest art work that is strangely appealing to me

Taxi Driver would be a top five movie movie to me, very interesting and well done for the time period in the mid 70's......
    I would take my son and my other two boys to the Smithsonian Mall about once a month for years. Once, when my son was about 5 years old we went to an exhibit at the Hirshhorn where one of the sculptures was a mass of shredded metal welded into an unstructured pile. My son said he had seen it before. When I inquired where, he said on my shop floor when we updumped our scrap metal barrels.

Another time the exhibit was all sculptures made with common tools and household items. We would look at the sculpture and try to figure out what the artist's intention was before reading the title plaque. One of these sculptures looked like a cleaning/maintenance cart. After walking around it a couple of times and not finding a title plaque, we concluded it was not part of the exhibit, but actually was a cleaning/maintenance cart.

Fun days at the museums.

One of these sculptures looked like a cleaning/maintenance cart. After walking around it a couple of times and not finding a title plaque, we concluded it was not part of the exhibit, but actually was a cleaning/maintenance cart.

Fun days at the museums.
    Yup that's the place

In "Stone", another of my favorite actors plays DiNiro's antagonist. Edward Norton is a fantastic actor. So fantastic that when he plays a disturbing role, he disturbs me too much.
    Creeps me out to be that parallel to you

Norton is off the chain good, and under rated at that, he has blown me away for years, he really develops INTO the role, whatever role.

The humdrum of DiNiro's role in that was indeed good work, he played a forgettable guy and he did so in such a way you indeed forget his name.

DiNiro in Cape Fear was outstanding as well, he has an interesting dynamic to his role in that movie, you can see the comedic value in him as an actor there despite the demented and clearly institutionalized aspects of the role as well.

Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post
    Creeps me out to be that parallel to you

Norton is off the chain good, and under rated at that, he has blown me away for years, he really develops INTO the role, whatever role.

The humdrum of DiNiro's role in that was indeed good work, he played a forgettable guy and he did so in such a way you indeed forget his name.

DiNiro in Cape Fear was outstanding as well, he has an interesting dynamic to his role in that movie, you can see the comedic value in him as an actor there despite the demented and clearly institutionalized aspects of the role as well.
    Have you seen Norton in Kill Smoochy, and if so, what do think of his acting for that role? I'll tell you ahead of time that I think Smoochy shows just how diverse Norton can be compared to Primal Fear.

I'm just hoping that there is not some trend for actors to play reality. I don't watch movies for realism, I watch them for escapism.

To get my movie psychy back in sync, I just finished half of my intended Critters marathon for the weekend....now there's entertainment!

Anyone watching Goodfellas? It's on right now......on the history channel.....???
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Anyone watching Goodfellas? It's on right now......on the history channel.....???
    I'm not even a big fan of gangster movies and I gotta say that is still a great film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast