Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My brother and I were talking last night and he brought up an interesting point. He lives in Florida. The new construction, by Federal law, has to be so many feet above sea level.

Even up here. A new shopping center was proposed. Everything was a go as far as State and Local premits. The Feds stepped in and said that the project was in a 100 year flood plain. Not on the Ocean mind you, but the Walloomsac River. So the developer had to bring in fill to raise the elevation of the site.

So what about N.O. Won't the same rules apply. They will be taking Federal tax dollars. Won't every thing being rebuilt have to be above the flood plain?

Fox News has now reported

The water is pouring over the Levees into N'awlins

Originally posted by benncool
    My brother and I were talking last night and he brought up an interesting point. He lives in Florida. The new construction, by Federal law, has to be so many feet above sea level.

Even up here. A new shopping center was proposed. Everything was a go as far as State and Local premits. The Feds stepped in and said that the project was in a 100 year flood plain. Not on the Ocean mind you, but the Walloomsac River. So the developer had to bring in fill to raise the elevation of the site.

So what about N.O. Won't the same rules apply. They will be taking Federal tax dollars. Won't every thing being rebuilt have to be above the flood plain?
    The flood plain thing will involve almost every city along a river.

The rivers were the old highways.

I watched some show, and the last time silt was deposited in the LA delta was in the 1920's when they were forced to open up levees from Minnesota south.

The weather channel said that the Galveston sea wall built 100 years ago has sank 2 feet. New orleans has sank 9 feet or so.

So besides bringing in fill, they would need pile foundations.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Originally posted by benncool
    I heard a report on this very topic on NPR last week and according to FEMA standards if the levees in NO are supposedly certified by the Army Corps of Engineers for a 100 year flood then even though the land is below sea level you can build/rebuild and the mortgageholder may not even require flood insurance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12