Vulcan Range Model 260L- says it's Propane...how to be sure?

The customer buys a used range, must have assumed it was Natural gas. I went to look at it before I install it next week and the name plate says propane. The customer looks a little sick since they spent 3k plus on this thing. I told them I would pull one of the burner orifices and check to see....

This is a 6 burner model.....

I pulled the front burner orifice out and it's a 53.

The hole looks normal for Natural gas and the regulator the customer got with the unit is an RV61.... which has a range of 3 to 6 inches of wc....

I tried calling Vulcan's tech line, and after being on hold for about 20 minutes I got handed to someone's voicemail.... I decided not to leave a message.

Can anyone verify that this unit has been converted to natural gas or confirm this is an LP orifice?

I found the manuals for this thing on the net and it looks like the part number 00-010901-00053 which is the orifice spud for the open burner is for LP...

Is there another way I can confirm which gas this thing is set to use?

Also, if this is an LP unit is it possible to covert to Natural gas or a waste of time?

Thanks
    Last edited by tcape; 06-15-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: needed to add another question and more info
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

Pretty sure this is an LP range

I figured out the parts book which I've attached and it appears on page 12, the part number for the open burner has a 53 in it is an LP orifice. I also went back and checked the standard oven orifice, and it is a 51.... the part number on page 12 does not say LP but I think it is since you would not list 0-2000 ft 2 times for Natural gas.

I already have a call into Vulcan tech support to confirm this, and I wanted to ask them if this range could be converted to Natural from Propane...

If it can't the customer may be able to use the stove as a boat anchor!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like can be switched over simply enough by swapping the orifices and pressure regulator. Vulcan may not be willing to help much though, according to them, only authorized service companies can do conversions. Looking at the parts breakdown, the only propane specific parts are the orifices and the regulator.

a kit?

It would be nice if they had a kit that would include everything, I'm sure somewhere there is at least a parts list to make the switch...

I'll have to go to my local Vulcan authorized service center to get the parts I guess.

Appliance conversions these days are not as simple and straightforward as they used to be, if the appliances are able to be converted at all.

But in this case it looks like it can be done. After changing the orifices and pressure regulator spring (or the whole regulator), examine the flames and adjust the air shutters. Check the firing rates. Finally, if the customer is going to use a big griddle adapter on the surface burners, test it to see if has flame rollout on maximum fire, and keep checking it through warmup. If it has flame rollout, especially out the front, advise against using this utensil due to the risk of clothing ignition.

Thanks for all the info!

I called the place I get restaurant equipment parts from and they are faxing a request for parts list from Vulcan to convert from propane to natural gas.