looking for info on my heat pump sys..

Question

This is the equipment in the house when we bought it.Im trying to find out as much info as i can..

heat pump
    Carrier-model 40AQ036330EH
    SN#-K9A12872

Outside condenser
    Goodman.(The name tag says janitrol but the label on the back says goodman)
    Model-CPE36-1AB
    Thanks...
    Lenny

Ok, here goes... Its a mismatched, poor performing mess. Sorry, but some hack who doesnt know anything about heat pumps thought a coil is a coil is a coil and since it didnt leak it would be ok.

here is the issue..It has been from 98-100 in the afternoon.
    The unit will run 14hrs nonstop if i let it.I currently have it set at 78 and the unit will cool the house to 79 and then run constantly.If i set the temp to 79 the unit will turn off for about 30min then turn back on keep the house at 80 while running constantly.It seems that whatever temp i set it at,the unit will cool dowon to 1F higher than what is set.The house is 1850SqFt.Im in north TX.
    The coils were almost %100 clogged up before we cleaned them out on sunday.Air flow is much better that before we cleaned the coils.I can now pour water straight through the coils and it will come out the otherside.Where as before it would not.At night when the temps are in the 80-90 range outside.The unit will cycle on/off normaly.Someone has mentioned to me that maybe it is the location of the thermostat. It is located in a hallway that is away from the unit and has no a/c vents and very little airflow,and across from the washer/dryer closet..Should i move the thermostat to the same hallway that the unit is located in?The unit is located in a interior hallway closet.

[Edited by lennyg on 09-21-2005 at 01:47 AM]

it appears that maybe my return is to small???
    i have the above heat pump sys installed..
    The coils are clean,filter is brand new.If i pull either one of the two front covers off (top or bottom) and go stand by a air vent it is blowing at least 40x's more air.I have two vents in the back of the house that you can only feel air comming out if you stand next to them.With either cover removed,you can feel the air blowing from across the room.The return registers are underneath the system.It is in a large hallway closet along with the water heater.The "closet" sits about 1ft off the ground and has 2 registers on one side and 1 one the other side.They measure 23.5 long X 7.5 tall.the unit is sitting on a filter frame that is sealed to the floor of the closet.When i pull the bottom cover off and pull the filter out and look down i can see that the "hold" is not the same size as the filter frame.measuring inward from the units frame there is a 3.5-4inch "lip".basicly the hole cut is 3.5-4 inchs smaller on all 4 sides than the units demensions.I hope im making sense ,on this.I have pictures but cant post them in this post..If i can figure out how to post them i will.

forgot to mention..when the bottom cover is off.I can see the filter bowing up towards the coils.Also i can lay a sheet of paper on top of the filter and it will get sucked up right to the coils.
    Like i said before it appears as though the return may be the issue.for ex..say the outside permiter of the untis filter base is 10x10x10x10 then the size of the return hole is 6x6x6x6..these arent the correct demensions but you get the idea.I've also always had problems with the filter getting sucked up out of the filter tray and up against the coils.Thats about a 1ft height difference.

lennyg: call a professional hvac contractor in your area, or the service provider you normally work with, and have them evaluate the system completely. Once the system has been reviewed, they can make the best overall recommendations as to what needs to be done.

This is in your best interest and for your own benefit. It doesn't make sense to try to 'fix' one problem, only to overlook or create another.

Call in a professional.

I would offer that once this person has a chance to look at the system, and makes some recommendations, don't hesitate to come back and bounce those ideas off of us. But, we can't diagnose, or troubleshoot the system 'sight unseen.'
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

the pblm is finding someone to come out.Im in n.TX and for the past week the temps have been anywhere from 98-102.Everybody i call is booked up.Its been in the 100's for alot of the summer so all the a/c guys are busy around here.

Lenny, unfortunately if you do not already have a relationship with a service provider, and it is peak season, you may have to wait. (that is for a quality contractor.) Someone who is not busy when everyone else is, well, there may be a reason. Who serviced it last? Don't you have any records from the previous owner? If you are in North Texas, there should be some folks here that can recommend someone. You've got the benefit of contractors from all over the U. S. and Canada on this site. It is not as though the system is 'down.' If you are patient right now, you will probably be able to get a quality contractor out before too long. Go ahead and get on someone's list, instead of trying to find someone who can come out as soon as they get off the phone.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

It should still be checked out, and it's still mismatched, but if it's moving cold air, there's no reason to nervously watch the thermostat. Adjust it until you find a number that's comfortable to you (don't worry about what the number is) and leave it.

Air conditioners are supposed to run basically nonstop on hot days, and if one doesn't, it's too big for the job. In weather like that, there's nothing unusual about it running for 14 hours straight, unless you know for certain that it didn't used to run that long in similar weather. Since you bought the house, you don't have that luxury. Have it checked when you can, and otherwise don't worry about it. Having the coils clean is already a good start.

The only other thing you can really do before a pro gets there is, of you are using a pleated filter (3M Filtrete or cheap knockoff), you might try using one of the cheap spun fiber types (the blue ones)... they filter out less of the really fine particles but are much less restrictive and won't tend to bow in from the air pressure.

I am using one of the pleated filters from Blue something.
    I just think its strange how when i pull the bottom cover off and it has a lot more aire exposer that the vents blow 10x's more air.I had some toliet paper taped to one of the vents so i could watch it across the house.as soon as i pulled the bottom cover off the foce of the air ripped the toliet paper from the tape.

Also does anyone have any info regarding my equipment?? Such as size,age,seer,ect..
    Thanks